Next lever advice - Bezzera Strega vs used Londinium R

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
valoben

#1: Post by valoben »

Hello fellow coffee freaks,

my initial plans to wait longer until I scratch the upgradeitis itch have failed. I found a local offer for a used Londinium R for 2000€, 3,5 years old, with preinfusion module. Seems like he just changed a few screws. I haven't asked yet about descaling & water used. It is being sold because not used enough.

My initial plan A was to wait < 1 year and go for the Strega, my plan B was to wait much longer and go for the Decent espresso. The Londinium R 24 is not included because out of price range, especially when including VAT.

Right now I drink 1, maybe 2 espresso/day, I am single dosing with a Lagom P64 with unimodal burrs and enjoying trying mostly lots of different light or medium roasts (for espresso as well as V60).

The new machine would also be used for milk drinks, I do not expect to get a huge taste difference in the cup, maybe in the body/crema. I will probably still use my Cafelat Robot in the morning, and use the new machine in the evening and during week-ends.

Pro/Cons:
- Strega TOP is priced at 1750-1800€ new, has a shorter warm up time, seems to be able to do anything, if necessary can be customized in the future for even more preinfusion madness. Has a vibe pump, seems to be less loud than LR.
- Strega has a cheaper build (not so worried about that), has a high pressure which requires a fine grind (which concerns me, I'm afraid my unimodal grinder won't cut it / will make a huge mess with channeling and such. It's already challenging right now with the Robot basket, I couldn't reach good high pressure shots)
- The price difference for the used LR is not that huge, it seems to be the "buy it for life" kind of machine. Well known and praised machine, can also deal with any type of roast I will use, may be even better for shots reproducibility. I did not actively search for used LR, so I'm unsure about the price.
- The LR has a very long warm-up time, I may use it less than the Strega. Keep in mind that I will not plumb it in, so flushing to reduce the warm-up time is probably not something I'll do. I either have to waste water for a fast heat up, or waste power to warm up a big machine almost an hour just for one shot on weekdays (maybe it's not that much compared to the Strega, can't find reliable information)

What's your opinion / What would you do ?
LMWDP #669

Advertisement
espressotime

#2: Post by espressotime »

To me nothing beats a strega.
Pro group ,reservoir,can be used without the reservoir and great price.Tastewise you won't find any difference between a Strega or a Bosco, Izzo or Londinium.
Auf Kaffee-netz.de gibt's 'ne Menge ueber die Strega zu lesen. Grosse Fangemeinde da.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Having owned a Strega I'd suggest going for the LR. Unlike Alf I did notice what I consider an improvement in my shots when I bought the Bosco Sorrento. Even though I modified my Strega to allow for lower pressure group fills closer to a conventional spring lever I was never able to get the softer classic spring lever shots I like. The Strega shots were much closer to what I would get from a typical pump machine. As far as warm up time just put the LR on a timer so it's ready when you want it to be.
LMWDP 267

Oskuk

#4: Post by Oskuk »

Hmm, if plumbed one with one spring?
I've got Strega in past and did not find any great difference
when changed to Astoria Gloria. But hated the pump-rattle of Strega.

espressotime

#5: Post by espressotime replying to Oskuk »

True. That is the only big disadvantage of the Strewga to me.
Londinium got this covered since they brought out the LR24.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

Oskuk wrote:Hmm, if plumbed one with one spring?
I've got Strega in past and did not find any great difference
when changed to Astoria Gloria. But hated the pump-rattle of Strega.
If you eliminate the pump & 1 spring then why would you buy a Strega? Lots of other conventional spring lever choices out there now. The choice the OP offered is a new Strega Top or used LR. Neither would be on my list today as I don't want a pump driven spring lever but those are the choices.
LMWDP 267

MNate

#7: Post by MNate »

Well, if you really think the Decent is in your future, the Robot is good... and you were only going to use this new machine in the evenings and weekends?

I just got the Decent after a year with the Robot as my daily machine and some other machines previously. The decent is a great machine for at home without the drawbacks of the big machines with warmup times and all.

But, those other machines are great too and there would be nothing wrong with making either your long-term machine... I just don't know about the sense of fill-in, mid-term machines especially when the Robot is so competent.

Advertisement
Lockman

#8: Post by Lockman »

This is a little off subject but my pump just failed on my Strega and I have the top version. Can it pull shots without the pump?
Talked to one place that sells it and they did not know. Seems like I read somewhere it would work without pump.
How would the pressure be controlled if so?

Thanks!
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing replying to Lockman »

It will work without the pump only if the machine is plumbed in.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

valoben (original poster)

#10: Post by valoben (original poster) »

espressotime wrote:Auf Kaffee-netz.de gibt's 'ne Menge ueber die Strega zu lesen. Grosse Fangemeinde da.

Thx, I'll have a look at it
JohnB. wrote:I was never able to get the softer classic spring lever shots I like. The Strega shots were much closer to what I would get from a typical pump machine.
I'll have to think about that. I have no idea how "soft" spring lever shots taste in comparison to Robot's shots (which are softer than pump machine)
MNate wrote:Well, if you really think the Decent is in your future, the Robot is good... and you were only going to use this new machine in the evenings and weekends?

I just got the Decent after a year with the Robot as my daily machine and some other machines previously. The decent is a great machine for at home without the drawbacks of the big machines with warmup times and all.

But, those other machines are great too and there would be nothing wrong with making either your long-term machine... I just don't know about the sense of fill-in, mid-term machines especially when the Robot is so competent.
Let's say it like that: the Decent is not a machine I'm attracted to (not fan of the design), but it's a small box which heats up quickly, can do everything and much more than other machines, is an excellent learning tool, no flushing routine needed, with a huge community. That would be a machine I'd consider only if I reach this price segment, which is not for now.

The next machine I'd get should be a long-term machine. Any of those (DE/LR or LR24/Strega) would probably be a good choice, I'm more worried that I'd have to change burrs or add another grinder at some point, especially if I go for the Strega. There is not much information to find on unimodal grinders combined with those machines (the DE would be the most flexible though)
JohnB. wrote:Neither would be on my list today as I don't want a pump driven spring lever but those are the choices
I don't necessarily want a pump-assisted lever (who doesn't like such festive decorations ? :lol: ), but other traditional lever machines I've looked at have other cons: Alex Leva is plumb in only, Pro 800 is really huge and in a price segment where I'd rather have another machine, Cremina is well...cremina priced. I've probably missed a few, if any is in this price segment feel free to tell me !
LMWDP #669