Newbie with $1,000 budget for espresso machine and grinder for lattes - Page 6

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
coffeechan

#51: Post by coffeechan »

Your options for a separate steamer are the Bellman steamer, a hand battery powered foamer, electric foamer, or a french press as tools to foam hot milk. I'm not sure if you've seen this video from James Hoffman, but it might help you. 2nd video is one of the new battery powered foamers that show promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgIVfU0xBjA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj-uk3AlB1o

Long term I wouldn't be discouraged. It's possible to make great espresso or lattes with a budget setup. What more money buys you is ease of use and higher potential drink quality. If you're willing to learn the concepts behind espresso and milk, you can make a lot of setups work. Some folks are using a Flair manual lever or Aeropress and a separate steamer to create lattes. Others are doing well with a Breville Bambino or a Gaggia Classic Pro with a Breville Smart Grinder, Sette 270, or a manual grinder. Below is a good video of Lance Hendrick, who is a Latte Art champion, using a 800$ total setup making lattes. Personally I would choose a Gaggia Classic Pro or Lelit Anna because of reliability and resell value, but its more to illustrate its possible and attainable with some compromises and workarounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3v-6s9OiEM

Edit:

There are 2 paths folks commonly take in their home-barista path. Folks will either go budget, their coffee skill grows, and eventually they hit limits of their equipment then upgrade. Others buy a high end setup at the start and they grow into their gear. The advantage of the first path is you get to learn if this is going to be a hobby you want for the long term at a lower entry cost. The 2nd is you lose less money upgrading, but what happens is if you learn it isn't for you?

Good gear is also no guarantee of good results either. I am about 9 years into this hobby and I can still improve and learn.

DblEspresso

#52: Post by DblEspresso »

They have a rancho silvia V6 / Eureka Mignon Specialita combo on sale at ECS for just over $1,000 USD. I think my total was $1,018 and change after exchange (and I used a CC with no foreign exchange fees of course). Not sure how long that special will last, but may be a good option for you - I sure am excited for it for my first setup!

GregoryJ

#53: Post by GregoryJ replying to DblEspresso »

Did you get a 220V machine? I heard they couldn't ship the 110V machine to the U.S.

DblEspresso

#54: Post by DblEspresso »

Definitely a 110v standard USA electrical plug on the specialita. You just have to choose the 110V option on ECS website.

GregoryJ

#55: Post by GregoryJ replying to DblEspresso »

Sorry, I meant the Silvia. I was told they couldn't ship Rancilio products to USA.

DblEspresso

#56: Post by DblEspresso »

I sure hope so, after I just spent that $$$. I'll update when I receive it. Otherwise, my buddy that is an electrician is getting a steak dinner and a homemade cheesecake!!!

Easton

#57: Post by Easton »

Ok this makes me really excited because I think I might have the perfect set up. It might be around 1100 b ut for what you get I think it will be good.

Grinder:
I know a lot of people would not say to get this and I understand the reasons why but I think if you get this you will be happy.
The Eureka Mignon Silenzio and It will be slightly over kill but It will match perfect espresso.

Espresso Machine:
So I know you said that you are a little bit scared of buying used but I think this machine will hold you out for a long time at a reasonable price. There is a Bezzera BZ07's for sale on the Buy/Sell forum and it is a really good deal for how much you get out of it.

Accessories:

Single Dose Zero Retention Hopper For Grinder: This will help you get the most flavor rout of your coffee with it staying fresher for longer. There are a few options on Etsy and those are what I would recommend.

Tamper/Distribution: I would buy a multi tool mix of these two it will get you the best bank for your buck. Or you could go with them separate and spend a little more to get a nicer tamper.

Milk Pitcher and Cups: You can really go for what you think will best suite you for now but eventually get more or upgrade.

Price Breakdown:
Grinder: New $500 but can probably find a used one if needed
Espresso Machine: Used $500 but can probably get price down to around $450
Accessories: Around $100

Overall: $1000-$1150

I think this will be a incredible set up that you willl not have to upgrade for along time. It will age with you and last you a long time.

Alice_fell (original poster)

#58: Post by Alice_fell (original poster) »

Thank you, Sandra. I'll still be around here, reading and learning. :D

Alice_fell (original poster)

#59: Post by Alice_fell (original poster) »

Thanks to everyone for all the great additional info!

Easton, thank you for pointing out the Bezzera - I'll take a look. What do you like about it? IS it "easy" to learn on it, do do you think?

Coffee Chan - Your edit is exactly my dilemma. I am hoping the class will help with that. For now, it looks like I'm going with the aeropress/Baratza Encore, although I'm still looking. The nanofoamer looks awesome! Thank you for sending the link!

msimanyi

#60: Post by msimanyi »

Alice, this may help you with the class / training you'd like: https://www.ediblebrooklyn.com/2020/cof ... latte-art/