Newbie ready to make the jump to espresso machine/grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
MtlCoffeeFan

#1: Post by MtlCoffeeFan »

Hi, I have saved up for a while and I'm ready to buy my first real espresso machine. I have been reading the forum for a while but would like final advice.

Basically I started drinking espresso with my Nespresso and Starbucks. Now close to work I discovered a great coffee shop and behold I can't drink what is coming out of my Nespresso anymore! That being said I have never made a real espresso in my life. I am a very good cook so I am not intimidated by this.

I would like to buy something that will make me happy for the years to come and that has the ability to easily replicate a good pull. I need a machine good for espressos and cappuccinos. And for the occasional multiple drinks when having friends over.

For the grinder I am eyeing the Baratza Sette 270W (I am a precision freak by nature).
For the machine I am less sure, looking at the Breville DB 920XL.

I am basically looking around these price points, could be a bit more or less. I just don't want to invest and not be able to make great coffee.

Advertisement
jaredw

#2: Post by jaredw »

No one really knows what the sette will be like just yet. Although it looks good from various videos and the like.

I started my coffee journey with a very similar setup. I think the DB 920xl is a great machine to start with. Although don't expect to live with it for ever but by the time it breaks down you will probably be wanting to upgrade anyway. Goodluck!

Bret

#3: Post by Bret »

I've had the 900 model, and now use the 920xl every day. I really like the BDB. It's not for everyone: if you like the look and feel of the more classic, heavy duty machines, the 920 won't "feel" right to you, perhaps. But in terms of features, usability, convenience, and quality of the results, I think it is a great value. Even if you do decide to upgrade someday to a much higher end machine, you have enough features on the BDB to learn on and grow with so that you will know more about what you might want in an upgrade.

When reading forums here and elsewhere, notice whether the problems people are discussing are for the older 900 model (which had its share of issues --but was still a good machine for me) or the newer 920 which is much improved over the 900. I'm very happy with my 920.

I'm also very happy with my Smart Grinder Pro from Breville, but that Sette is definitely intriguing. I'll be watching it closely, to see how it actually delivers 'in the wild' because I could see it becoming my espresso grinder, and the SGP becoming either my drip grinder, or my full hopper alternate roast grinder when I don't want to single dose.

I'd say you won't regret getting the 920, and I'll be watching to see how you feel about the Sette 8)

jchung

#4: Post by jchung »

I personally think the BDBs are great! I had the 900xl for 3 years and just this week traded it in for the 920xl. My 900xl probably could have lasted a couple more years or longer, but had a great upgrade deal, so took it. If I sent it in for service instead of trading it in, it probably would have lasted another 3-6 yrs for me.

The Sette 270-W looks great and looks like it'll give the Vario a real run for its money, but I'm just concerned it's the same 40mm conical burrs Baratza uses in their other grinders. There is a reason why the Vario and Forte are the best from Baratza, and it's not all about the adjustments. The burrs are quite important.

If you get the BDB, I recommend you get it from Bed Bath and Beyond and use their 20% off coupon. They have a great return policy, just keep the receipt and you can return it at anytime, even after 3 yrs. ;)

MtlCoffeeFan (original poster)

#5: Post by MtlCoffeeFan (original poster) »

At this point I am pretty sold on the BDB.

The grinder is more my dilemma, I hear it's more important then the machine. Yet you read people happy with the relatively cheap breville pro and others with $1000 ones.

aecletec

#6: Post by aecletec »

MtlCoffeeFan wrote: Yet you read people happy with the relatively cheap breville pro and others with $1000 ones.
Not everyone has the same taste preferences...

#7: Post by MtlCoffeeFan (original poster) »

Well I tasted from the best in town. So I know I won't be happy if it doesn't remotely compare

Advertisement
CwD

#8: Post by CwD »

jchung wrote:I'm just concerned it's the same 40mm conical burrs Baratza uses in their other grinders.
Just to note, the size and manufacturer are the same, but the burrs themselves are pretty visibly different.

PeteWrong

#9: Post by PeteWrong »

I'm looking at this exact setup. I was leaning toward 'splurging' and getting the Rocket Giotto, but I'm worried it will be too intimidating for my wife. I've played with the BDB and it seems like it's much more user friendly, and the Sette 270W seems perfect for grind quality/weight accuracy at a reasonable price. Definitely looking forward to see some more reviews of this, the only shame is waiting for the grinder to come out is holding me up from getting the BDB.

#10: Post by MtlCoffeeFan (original poster) »

Same for me. I want my setup now. But I have to wait for the grinder... Patience is not a quality of mine