Newbie - Grinder with budget $100-300

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nmjones12

#1: Post by nmjones12 »

Hello,

I am a newbie to coffee. I am purchasing my beans from a roastery. So far I have thrown out my Keurig (newbie) and have purchased 2 percolators. I intend to purchase a french press and eventually an espresso machine. My cheap coffee grinder I've had for about 3 weeks recently started smoking due to the constant use of grinding lots of coffee daily. There are 6 - 8 of us drinking coffee oncee or twice a day.

Right now - this week I need a grinder - something that will do coarse grinds really well and something I can eventually use as I purchase more coffee equipment - pour over, cold brew, espresso. I don't mind upgrading - but I need something durable that I can use daily. Budget $100-$300

I've reviewed the Baratza line, Rancilio Rocky and Breville. I don't mind purchasing a grinder specific to espresso later - if I can get a really good course grinder. I have enough coffee ground for the week so I need something quickly.

Please help..

Bluenoser

#2: Post by Bluenoser »

A grinder for espresso and pour-over/French press can be somewhat difficult to find depending on how fussy you are for each. The only grinder that will fit both for under $300 is a manual grinder, such as a Kinu Phoenix.. (there are a host of other manuals and you can search Prima Coffee or James Hoffmann for reviews on good hand grinders). I've used a Kinu Phoenix and it will last you virtually forever and is something you can travel with. It can compete with $1000 electric grinders for grind quality.

As you get fussier on your coffee taste, your grinder requirement will likely increase so purchase something you can grow with. An electric Niche Zero is likely the best bang for the buck right now. It can do both pour over and espresso, but (I think) was designed more for espresso. It is a conical, single-dosing grinder and you can do some research on grinder types here. It is much more than your budget, but you will find if you get into espresso, you will need to spend some money.. The secret is to not spend it twice; which many of us do.

I don't drink much pour-over/French press so I'll let others recommend those grinders.

The Baratza Sette 270 is a popular electric grinder for espresso, but it doesn't have great durability and doesn't do pour-over well.

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

I'd look at a refurb Baratza Virtuoso or Virtuoso+ for your drip/infusion needs. Might have to buy one more pound of ground coffee if it doesn't arrive in a week.

In that price range, it's challenging to find one that is suitable for espresso, nearly impossible for both, hand grinders aside.

forbeskm

#4: Post by forbeskm »

Hand grinder, they are quiet, small and leave you more counter space.

Oehandgriners.com. Lido 2, works great for drip or espresso.

My brother and parents both have them for drip, brother also does espresso wih one. It works great, switching between grinds is not perfect but for 200 it can be done, though i would not want to switch any grinder daily between drip and espresso

I used a lido 2 as daily for espresso and still have it for travel.

slipchuck

#5: Post by slipchuck replying to forbeskm »

The op states that 6-8 people will need coffee.. that's a very big work out

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

forbeskm

#6: Post by forbeskm replying to slipchuck »

That's a tiny budget, i gave a fantastic grinder in the price point. People do attach drills to them :) .

Just giving options. If its espresso, not horrible, I typically grinded out two to three espresso on it daily in the morning. Drip grind is a whole lot easier. Bump the budge a little get a mignon or sette 270, vario. But hand grinders, you love em or hate em :)

mtbizzle

#7: Post by mtbizzle »

I would focus on a brew grinder.
If you go down the coffee rabbit hole and get a decent espresso machine, you will want a dedicated espresso grinder.
In that case, or in the case that you stick with making coffee in grind ranges from aeropress to french press, a brew grinder would serve you better.
The new ode grinder is an interesting option
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle

Coffcarl

#8: Post by Coffcarl »

I won this at the SCA coffee expo:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... JgEALw_wcB

It works great for drip. I wouldn't try it for Espresso.

Also don't grind green beans in it (yes, my daughter did this and when it stalled moved on to my 64mm flat burr grinder)

Scott_G

#9: Post by Scott_G »

Eureka Mignon Filtro - $209?

I have no experience with this grinder, but I like my other Eureka/Simonelli grinders.