Newbie friendly pourover?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Whitecrane

#1: Post by Whitecrane »

I might want to give pourover a try. Chemex looks likes fun. Is there any one particular pourover device that is newbie friendly? I own a Hario gooseneck stovetop kettle, but have never used it. Is there a "training wheels" solution?

MNate
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by MNate »

For me it's a Bonavita Immersion Dripper or Clever Dripper. But I'm more an espresso person and so not trustworthy. But here's the thread I like:
Clever Dripper appreciation thread

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

I like a plastic V60 for simplicity. The -02 size works for me for the one or two cups we usually make. James Hoffman's "Ultimate V60" technique is straightforward and seemingly robust.

Whitecrane (original poster)

#4: Post by Whitecrane (original poster) »

Yikes, I thought the V60 was one of the hardest to use! Finicky about brew times and hardest to keep the grinds wet. It's easy?

I see Chemex is much less popular today than it was a few years ago. What gives?

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

There certainly are some complex V60 rituals, but this is good and robust. (I also like Kalita, Clever, Switch, December, Origami, ..., but $10 for a V60 is, I think, a good place to start.)

bas

#6: Post by bas »

I would start with an Aeropress. It is a very forgiving device and gives you lots of possibilities. It does not rely on pouring technique. The Delter is idiot proof too and gives a cleaner cup (but less body). De Clever is easy to use as well but you have to like the taste profile. I don't.

Whitecrane (original poster)

#7: Post by Whitecrane (original poster) »

Thanks everyone.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

Chemex is typically for brewing a pot of coffee. Are you after a cup or a pot?

LObin

#9: Post by LObin »

I just purchased a Vario woodneck (cloth filter) and I'm very impressed!

This video sold me out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_I3ZVKKb4

I mostly use the April V60 recipe (13g / 200g) unless I'm wanna yield larger doses (Rao or Hoffman).

It's pretty, eco, more forgiving than V60 and as pretty as Chemex. You can also brew smaller batches which isn't as easy with a Chemex.
As for taste comparison vs other pour over methods... I can't say. Hoffman says it's his favorite pour over method though. It's a solid reference.

I got the larger size btw since it does small brews just as easily.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

Jefe
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Jefe »

I brewed with a Chemex for several years and my biggest issue with it was temp control. Even after pre heating my mug, pre heating the Chemex....by the time I got to my first sip the temp of the coffee was already coming way down. I dont mind tasting coffee throughout the heat index but dang man, give a guy a chance to enjoy some "hot" coffee!! :lol: Plus the size of the filter boxes were way too big, I was using the "3 cup" Chemex and although folding the filter really wasn't hard, there were more than a few mornings where I just didn't want to deal with it. Now I use the Fellow Stagg brewer, I brew right into my cup (as V60 will allow you to do as well) AND the Stagg brewer is insulated, so as you brew coffee it stays a more stable temperature even in the winter.

Whichever way you go, pourover is fantastic and really allows you to custom dial in a cup of coffee to your own specific desires. Good luck!!