Newbie friendly pourover? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Whitecrane (original poster)

#21: Post by Whitecrane (original poster) »

michang5 wrote:Hario Switch paired with Tales Coffee's "stall the fall" technique is unbelievably simple and makes a nice cup.

video
Basically immersion with a paper filter finish. Is 'switch' a V60? If I use it with the hatch open, am I basically doing a V60 pour over?

I already own a gooseneck kettle, but my scale is a basic food scale. Do I need a more responsive coffee scale for pour over?

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by baldheadracing »

Okay, I will admit that over-dosing and under-extracting lend themselves to newbie-friendly brewing techniques. Those techniques are also a waste of coffee and may not get the most out of excellent coffee that has been roasted well. On the other hand, if you have mediocre coffee or stale coffee or poorly-executed roasts or you don't want all the goodness from great specialty coffees, then by all means go for it. Just know that you are.

(As a sweeping generalization, anything over 55-60g/l pourover or 60-65g/l immersion, or weirdly low brew temperatures, are red flags.)

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
ojt

#23: Post by ojt »

As a relative newbie here I'll try and chime in. I got the origami dripper as my first, and still the only, pour over device. I went with it for several reasons but namely:

- It accepts both Kalita and V60 style filters
- It looks nice
- There were good reviews about it
- I had easy access to one, without ordering online

I'm not sure if I could recommend the Origami for other newbies but at least I learned I prefer flat bottom brewers. Would I start now I'd probably go with the Stagg, or the April dripper. Maybe even Kalita. The usual easy choice is the plastic V60 but as said, I prefer flat bottom.

The biggest newbie hurdle was to learn to heat it up well enough before the brew. IMHO the usual rinsing with the brew water just isn't enough for this dripper, except maybe for dark roasts. Rinsing may be enough for plastic drippers and maybe the Stagg drippers. For reference I heat it on top of the kettle now while water boils. I use light roasts and would recommend going as hot as you can for those. You'll then learn when to lower temperature.

The next hurdle is the pouring technique and recipe. I don't know how to advice there except maybe go with something simple like the Hoffman method. I am just starting to discover a use for the 4-6 method now after about 2 years. My goto method is bloom + two pours.

Remove one variable altogether: the dose and ratio. Just use a good standard ratio like 15g to 250g and leave it at that.

Do get a good enough scale. I have a timemore black mirror. You can start with a kitchen scale but they can be irritating, slow and unresponsive and often turn off while the coffee is dripping.

And then some speculation. From all I've read the Chemex may actually be pretty finicky as a dripper because of clogging issues and perhaps heat-loss issues as said before by someone.
Osku

michang5

#24: Post by michang5 »

@Whitecrane, I'm not 100% what you're asking in the first paragraph, but the Switch is essentially a V60 glass top with a silicone bottom that can open and close with a lever and ball bearing. Close the Switch and you're immersion brewing. Open it and you're doing a V60 pourover.

The cool thing is that you can combine them in one contraption. I used to steep my grounds and water in a cup before pouring into a basic Melitta cone filter.

I'm sure others here might disagree, but I don't think you need a fancy scale. I have the GreaterGoods scale off Amazon that has worked great for espresso. It is usable with the Switch, but my 03 is just a hair too wide to make it very convenient to see the scale's screen below. I prefer to use an old kitchen scale that is slow and only has 1g accuracy.