Newbie espresso addict has green but which espresso machine? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nik

#11: Post by Nik »

Last year I purchased an Alex Duetto II as my first espresso machine. There was nothing wrong with it except several small annoyances. I had narrowed the decision down to the Duetto II and the Mini Vivaldi II by La Spaziale. In retrospect I think if I had chosen the Mini Vivaldi I would still have it or at least had it much longer.

I don't think I have ever read of anyone being unhappy with the Vivaldi.

SwingT

#12: Post by SwingT »

I won't plumb the machine in...will deliver excellent shots reliably......I'm sure I will need to get better on my end with technique
Well, if I may suggest a change of approach.

Don't go all out at this point - espresso is a journey, not a project.

If you want excellent shots reliably, go for a better grinder - nothing less than a Mazzer major. Grinder is more important than machine, so if you want to start at the top, start with the grinder. I suggest an Elektra Nino, although that is a matter of opinion - plus it is only available in 220 volts.

As to machine - go to an excellent intermediate machine which if you do your part, will reliably give really good shots.

I suggest a Mini Vivaldi for machine, or a Vivaldi S1 V2 with flojet setup on a cart.

This would be an excellent setup to learn on, and a great starting point to your journey.

With a Nino, and a Vivaldi s1 V2 you would be starting out somewhere around 5K, and would have an excellent setup to use and learn on while enjoying great espresso before you learn how you wish to proceed with the finer points.
LMWDP #258

bernie

#13: Post by bernie »

uscfroadie wrote:If you don't mind spending $6500 or thereabouts, get a La Marzocco GS/3. Yes, it's alot of money, but you will still be able to service it many years from now. One of the members of this forum has a GS/1 that has been used daily and is still going strong 25 years later. Yes, it's twice the price of an Olympia, but if you keep both for 25 years the extra cost per day/month/year is miniscule.
I've been driving a LM GS for that long. In fact, I'm sitting here this morning watching the sunrise over the Organ mountains which are covered with snow and enjoying a nice cap from that very machine. Serial number is 11682. I've always wanted to check those numbers with LM to see if the the "11" designates a model because the "682" is in smaller font. Anyway, this thing still works out each morning. More than I can say for myself.
I've always been of the opinion that learning to make espresso is like learning to play an instrument. It's a waste of time learning to play on a bad axe. Like learning to shoot pictures with a foggy lens. After 2 1/2 decades of doing this domestically and commercially I say get the very best equipment you can get your hands on and start as high up the ladder as possible. I wouldn't ask a surgeon if she spent a lot of time with dull scalpels to learn the skill. I wouldn't suggest an aspiring writer spend a lot of time reading bad fiction. But, therein lies the question asked a million times in this and other forums, eh, which is the most quality for the money? I'm still waiting for that grand experiment at a SCAA conference where they gather up a bunch of youse guys and line up every machine on the market in a double blind espresso tasting. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Statistically it could be done to the satisfaction of anybody serious about a taste-off. The logistics would be immense, but how'd you like to see a big board with the rankings of dozens of "expert" cuppers and tasters in a controlled environment? The machine makers shudder when the subject is brought up. Anyway, my advice is go for the best quality and then some and you will seldom regret it.

Bernie

t18skyguy (original poster)

#14: Post by t18skyguy (original poster) »

Much thanks to all who have responded. I'm going to research every single one of your suggestions. When I get more experience I will remember the generosity of you guys and will help the newbies too. My wife was always against coffee, so I started offering her a sip of my latte in the morning and now she looks forward to it. It is a sin to addict a loved one? :)

CRCasey

#15: Post by CRCasey »

t18skyguy wrote: My wife was always against coffee, so I started offering her a sip of my latte in the morning and now she looks forward to it. It is a sin to addict a loved one? :)
When you have two good addictions in your life it would be a shame to not get them together. :wink:

-C
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244