Newbie "buy once, cry once" espresso setup, budget $2500 - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
PeetsFan

#31: Post by PeetsFan »

Bluenoser wrote:The Sette is quite loud due to the strain on its plastic gear train. This is its weak point. But it has an excellent grind quality for its price.
Why would plastic be louder than metal? I think the noise is because the burrs are right above the exit. They are not enclosed. And, the larger burr moves around the smaller one, which is probably also louder.

But, yes, it still has that plastic gear train. Which probably won't last as long as metal, but the part only costs $40, or $100 if you want to replace the whole assembly along with the larger ring burr.

I'm not their cheerleader. It is the entry level of high quality coffee grinders. It is the least you can pay for high quality results. I think that any other grinder in this league begins at double the price of a Sette 270, and you're probably right that after two or three years of enthusiast use, it might be time to upgrade. I'll let you know when I get there. :-)

jgood

#32: Post by jgood »

QuickMill QM 67 double boiler 2300; Baratza Vario 470 = $2,770 pretty close to 2,500....