New or vintage Elektra? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

jkerr wrote:Yeah, that's exactly the one I was looking at.
... and the $1100 used one on kijiji in Québec? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-machine-a-cafe- ... 1601790241

If so, then that machine looks - looks - to be in remarkably good condition for its age. If appearances or clearances matter, it has the wings-downward bird and the (I think) ugly version of the Elektra badge. OTOH, the copper/brass colour scheme is the nicest one IMO.

If it were me, I'd need to see a close-up of the drip tray grate to get an idea of how much the machine has actually been used, as well as a pic of the base with the rubber bottom and drip tray removed as it looks like there is some clearcoat chipping/deterioration (essentially impossible to fix properly, but easy to make look good for a few months), as well as a pic of the interior of the base with the rubber bottom removed (upside down view) to see if the base has rust on the inside, discolored connectors, etc.

(All of the Micro Casas are completely covered with super-hard high temperature clearcoat. You can see ones on ebay where the clearcoat has deteriorated. On this machine, you can see the steam wand retaining nut had lost its clearcoat, probably due to someone using a wrench without protection. This clearcoat is not easily re-done properly because regular and automotive clearcoats won't last due to the heat ... well, they'll last about six months, maybe a year.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
truemagellen

#12: Post by truemagellen »

I would not buy that one on kiiji due to base rust alone. Someone did not properly maintain that seal area. I would say it is overpriced due to that rust.

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

Get the chrome one at idrinkcoffee. The brass ones are harder to maintain. Plus the current version parts are all available.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jkerr (original poster)

#14: Post by jkerr (original poster) »

I bought it!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#15: Post by baldheadracing replying to jkerr »

Excellent 8).

I used mine today. After fiddling with controlling temperatures/grind size on my Europiccola for the past couple weeks, it was so nice to just turn the MCaL on, wait 20 minutes, pull a couple great shots, and get on with the rest of my day.

Enjoy! :D
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

drgary
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary »

jkerr wrote:I bought it!
Congratulaions!
Gary
LMWDP#308

jkerr (original poster)

#17: Post by jkerr (original poster) »

I'm super excited. I'll try it as is for a while, and see if drgary's mod to stabilize the temperature is necessary or not. Would it void the warranty, I wonder?

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#18: Post by drgary »

How would anyone know? It's reversible.

Just make sure you swap in longer bolts to accommodate the extra thickness of the heat break gasket.
Gary
LMWDP#308

cannonfodder
Team HB

#19: Post by cannonfodder »

jkerr wrote:currently there's a vintage one (1994)
When did 1994 become vintage?
Dave Stephens

Caffinator

#20: Post by Caffinator replying to cannonfodder »

That's what I thought too!

it must mean, to me, that I'm getting old.

1994. The only memory that comes to me is the year that Kurt Cobain died.

On a 'vintage' note' I almost bought a 1995 Defender. Looked in pristine condition. Long story short. So happy (as well as my pocketbook) that I didn't.