New Olympia Moca as Single Dose Grinder?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
hankg

#1: Post by hankg »

As I have a Cremina the new Moca looks the perfect companion. However looking at this video below it looks like there is a lot of retention in the grinder. Can someone who owns one comment on its practicality as a single dose grinder?

If the Olympia doesn't fit the bill my second choice would be a Malghut M-1 manual grinder. I want a small footprint with high quality and good ergonomics. Electric would be nice, but as I drink single and restretto espresso exclusively, manually grinding 7-8 grams is not much of a chore. The Lynn EG-1 would be in the mix but is out of my price range - the Olympia is already a bit of a stretch.

Fesoia

#2: Post by Fesoia »

I've a Moca grinder, the retention is almost zero.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

^Doesn't look like zero retention to me? Would be a pain to clean as well from the look of it...

Mahlgut could be a good choice if you have a smooth granite surface. Easily disassembled for cleaning. There is an increasing observation/awareness that it's crucial to clean burrs regularly. That will help bring up the extraction efficiency (higher extraction yield %).

Fesoia

#4: Post by Fesoia »

samuellaw178 wrote:<image>

^Doesn't look like zero retention to me? Would be a pain to clean as well from the look of it...

Mahlgut could be a good choice if you have a smooth granite surface. Easily disassembled for cleaning. There is an increasing observation/awareness that it's crucial to clean burrs regularly. That will help bring up the extraction efficiency (higher extraction yield %).
I'm not sure about the one in the video but mine doesn't retain that much. 12g in 12g out.

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec replying to Fesoia »

I don't think that's the kind of retention being discussed - the idea is that maybe you get 12g from 12g but some of the fresh grinds stay in the chamber and some of the retained "stale" grinds get extruded.

Fesoia

#6: Post by Fesoia replying to aecletec »

My bad. But still the stale is minimal when i cleaned my grinder monthly. Hence my earlier comments on almost zero retention.

aecletec

#7: Post by aecletec replying to Fesoia »

No worries! "Retention" is used in so many different ways :)
Nice to hear about minimal stale grounds... this also seems to vary even with the same model grinder... environment or QC or...?

hankg (original poster)

#8: Post by hankg (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.

Considering I am producing 2 or 3 single shots a day I think I'll go with the Mahlgut MG-1. The more I look at it the more the design, size and ergonomics are really appealing to me - a minimalist manual grinder to pair with a minimalist manual machine. Plus, it's $660 less than the Moca, which would pay for an awful lot of coffee :shock:

Gpinch1

#9: Post by Gpinch1 »

Is there any additional feedback on the Moca grinder?

I would not normally consider this grinder BUT I am going to purchase a new Cremina.
Its sad to say but visually this grinder is the perfect companion to the Cremina.

I will be pouring 2 double espresso a day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

cafe102

#10: Post by cafe102 »

That would be an amazing setup! For the money spent you could get a "better" grinder...but you're the end user, don't get bullied into thinking you need a huge commercial grinder to get decent results. The HG1 is a great grinder if you want to go the manual route and the money saved will get you the sweet accessory set they sell (cups, bottomless PF, steam pitcher...) You might even be able to get a package discount if you purchase at the same time.
Best of luck and post pictures!