New Olympia Cremina: best bottomless portafilter + triple basket? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
coffee-fox
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by coffee-fox »

I have the Creativewerks bottomless portafilter and it fits better then stock spouted portafilter. You can swap the black handles from the original portafilter or buy a wood handle from Creativewerks or buy spare black handle from Cerini. I use the original spouted portafilter as heat sink to manage temperature.

I have the B582TH29E but it's too deep for my taste requiring a coarser grind. It does work with Creativewerks bottomless portafilter. It can be purchased from EspressoCare.
https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... ra-mc-leva

The recent Cremina's ships with the same basket as the Strietman 18gr basket. I got my Cremina new in Jan 2023.
Michael Davis

chopinhauer

#12: Post by chopinhauer »

baldheadracing wrote: The (old?) Streitman '18g' basket is the same depth as the (old? squared-off-hole) Elektra double basket - approx. 26mm tall. Note that the Streitman baskets are now called "Strietman IMS Precision Filter Basket" and are rated at 17g and 14g - I do not know if these are the same baskets as before. Regardless, the gram dosage is for a Streitman machine; I prefer to dose the (old?) Streitman baskets at 2g-3g less than nominal capacity.

The IMS Competition B582TH29E is noticeably taller at 29mm. I don't have a current-generation OEM Cremina portafilter, but this basket can have trouble fitting my older Pavoni and Olympia 49mm spouted portafilters. (Fits fine in the stock brass MCaL portafilter.)
Thanks for the info Craig. I think I will just stick with the Elektra basket as I prefer using a the OEM spouted PF with a single spout. I doubt the 29mm high basket will fit the spouted PF holder and, as you and others suggest, it might not produce much better results, especially since I don't intend to go beyond 17 grams and currently am set at 15.5 grams for most shots.

I'm interested whether the new Cremina basket coffee-fox refers to is actually different to the one it has shipped with for the past 10 years which is a tad smaller than the Elektra and doesn't produce as good shots at 15-16 grams as the Elektra.
LMWDP #027

Accidemic627

#13: Post by Accidemic627 »

baldheadracing wrote:The Pavoni locks to the left. The Cremina locks to the right. The lugs are backwards.
Hi Craig,
Thanks for your response. I was just double-checking on the Coffeesensor website and it actually looks like they sell a custom bottomless PF with "bidirectional" lugs that can lock in either direction. It's advertised on their site as also fitting the Olympia Cremina. But when I chatted about it with Tudor and he suggested adding teflon spacers, I thought better of it since it looks like both Creativewerks and Naked make a custom PF specifically for the Cremina.

By the way, for anyone also looking for a bottomless PF for their Cremina: it appears that Creativewerks's shop on Etsy is currently "taking a short break." The shop still appears to be running on the Bay, but it's not clear whether new orders are actually shipping (there are some recent reviews that suggest otherwise). If anyone happens to know what the status of Creativewerks is at the moment, please let us know.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#14: Post by baldheadracing »

Accidemic627 wrote:Hi Craig,
Thanks for your response. I was just double-checking on the Coffeesensor website and it actually looks like they sell a custom bottomless PF with "bidirectional" lugs that can lock in either direction. It's advertised on their site as also fitting the Olympia Cremina. But when I chatted about it with Tudor and he suggested adding teflon spacers, I thought better of it since it looks like both Creativewerks and Naked make a custom PF specifically for the Cremina.
The lugs found on Olympia '67 and newer OEM portafilters are flat on their lower surface - there is a bit of an angled section, and then the majority of the lug is flat. Many of the current aftermarket portafilters were 'inspired' by the Richard Penny bottomless portafilter (no longer available), and the Penny portafilters skipped the angled section and have a flat lug with rounded leading edges. However, the Penny portafilter (and an OEM Cremina portafilter) will not lock into every 49mm Pavoni (neither of mine, anyway :wink:); the dimensions are just a little bit off - the Cremina's lugs are longer, usually thicker, and the bottom of the lugs is mostly flat; and Pavoni portafilters have the bottom of their lugs slanted, and the lugs are a little bit lower from the top of the portafilter.

FWIW, regardless of the listing, I would confirm with the vendor.

As for Creativewerk, in my experience he often takes breaks, moreso from Etsy. I've bought from him on Etsy and eBay without issue - my last order was in November of last year - although I haven't bought any portafilters.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

coffee-fox
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by coffee-fox »

The filter basket that came with my 2023 Olympia Cremina is 26mm high. From what I heard in the last few years Olympia changed to the larger filter basket.

My MCAL filter basket is 26mm high too.
Michael Davis

Accidemic627

#16: Post by Accidemic627 »

baldheadracing wrote:As for Creativewerk, in my experience he often takes breaks, moreso from Etsy. I've bought from him on Etsy and eBay without issue - my last order was in November of last year - although I haven't bought any portafilters.
Well, speak of the devil: he came back on line at Etsy today. I just went ahead and ordered his bottomless portafilter plus a handle; seems to be well loved by many Cremina owners and will give me no headaches with compatibility. I also grabbed some Strietman baskets (14g and 17g) to go with....

baldheadracing
Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing replying to Accidemic627 »

From the pictures on the Olympia and Streitman websites, the Streitman looks to be the same as the current Olympia double basket.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

aleex

#18: Post by aleex »

Hello, just wanted to chime in here and say that on my new (2014+) Cremina, the Creativewerks portafilter + B582TH29E IMS competition basket fit absolutely perfectly. I was worried about the fit since there's talk of grinding down the basket etc. elsewhere, but absolutely no mods are required to use the IMS basket + Creativewerks bottomless portafilter on a new Cremina, it locks in just as well as the stock portafilter + basket.

Attaching some pictures for reference:

Height difference vs stock basket (29mm IMS vs 26mm stock):

Difference when locked in:

Perfect fit with the top of the Creativewerks portafilter (stock basket first for reference, it's slightly duller than the new IMS):

LMWDP #693

naaaateeee

#19: Post by naaaateeee »

Could anyone with one of these IMS baskets elaborate on any major differences they noticed after introducing them into your setup?

I'm not overly interested in getting a triple-shot size basket but any improvements in consistency / shot quality would be interesting to hear.

erik82

#20: Post by erik82 »

I owned a new Cremina but didn't see any use in a triple basket. They're way too tall for the width and the volum of the grouphead isn't sufficient to pull a decent shot. I never used more than 16gr as beyond that shot quality only declined.