New mid level espresso grinder opinions sought

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nicholasr

#1: Post by nicholasr »

Hi All,

Its Yet Another What Grinder Question! But perhaps my requirements are a bit different than others. I unfortunately don't have access to a nice retail shop where I can check things out, so its a bit of a leap of faith.

I've used a Mazzer mini E for about 10 years, before it fell of a truck while moving, and the last several years I've been using a Sette. While the Sette is remarkably good, I honestly can't take the sound in the morning. I actually hit the grind button and walk away as quickly as possible to not get inundated with the noise.

With that in mind, I'm looking for a new on demand grinder, preferably in the $1000 to $1200 level and am soliciting advice. My needs:
* I will never/do not care about single dosing
* I do want a quieter grinder
* I do want a long lasting/well manufactured grinder
* I like a nice interface (easy to set dose & grind)
* I don't actually care about minimal differences in grind quality. Honestly I just want to make some tasty drinks and move on. Life is busy.
* It has to fit under a standard US cabinet (~17 inches and some small change)

So, discounting ultimate grind quality, what would be a really nice grinder to live with? Clean, easy to work with, decent looking. I've looked at the Ceado 37j, the Atom 65, ECM... I could push the price if necessary, but I'm not sure that with my requirements there is a huge amount of gain for the extra outlay.

Cheers!

walt_in_hawaii

#2: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

Niche Zero

walt_in_hawaii

#3: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

.... or a K10 and go find that guy in Honey I Shrunk the Kids and have him reduce it a little

chopinhauer

#4: Post by chopinhauer »

Eureka Atom. Good, not too large and quiet as far as grinders go. It's got noise insulation.
LMWDP #027

boren

#5: Post by boren »

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

My K-30 with a short hopper was really quiet. It is a little bit over your budget. But, not by much.

Marcje

#7: Post by Marcje »

I have the Atom Specialty 75 and can highly recommend it.
I think it meets all of your requirements.

redbone

#8: Post by redbone »

Do you have a preference for burr type flat or conical. Budget, size, single dose or not, these play large factors here.

As far as flat grinders within <$1500.
Eureka
65E
75E
Rocket Fausto

Ceado
E37J
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

nicholasr (original poster)

#9: Post by nicholasr (original poster) »

Thanks guys. The Atom (or atom 65, I don't see the 75 available in USA) seems like it fits most of the requirements. I suppose I am just a bit turned off by some negative commentary around on the forums. That could be just the concentration of bad opinion that often happens on Internet forums though.

The K30 sounds like a good grinder, but is 50% over budget, and seems quite hulking in photos. The wife may object.
Do you have a preference for burr type flat or conical. Budget, size, single dose or not, these play large factors here.
I think I got most of those in the initial post, but a couple more details couldn't hurt. Flat/conical would fall in my 'I don't care' camp. I also only grind espresso, and all of my coffees are easy (no single origin, no light roasts). Don't get me wrong, I buy quality coffee, and like quality drinks, but my passion may not go as far as others :D

slipchuck

#10: Post by slipchuck »

nicholasr wrote:Thanks guys. The Atom (or atom 65, I don't see the 75 available in USA) seems like it fits most of the requirements. I suppose I am just a bit turned off by some negative commentary around on the forums. That could be just the concentration of bad opinion that often happens on Internet forums though.

The K30 sounds like a good grinder, but is 50% over budget, and seems quite hulking in photos. The wife may object.

I think I got most of those in the initial post, but a couple more details couldn't hurt. Flat/conical would fall in my 'I don't care' camp. I also only grind espresso, and all of my coffees are easy (no single origin, no light roasts). Don't get me wrong, I buy quality coffee, and like quality drinks, but my passion may not go as far as others :D
You will find something negative about everything as people usually harp on the negative not the positive.
I think the Atom would be an excellent choice for your needs

Good luck!

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”