New La Marzocco Linea Micra or used Mini?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nørgaard

#1: Post by Nørgaard »

Hi all
I'm not really sure what to do here. The Danish price for a new Micra is ever so slightly higher than that of a 4-5 year old used mini.. so without further fuss and mumbling about: what would you buy and why?

I've read plenty of threads here on both the micra and the mini - but I haven't been able to find this exact dilemma.

espressoren

#2: Post by espressoren »

I'm thinking that if you don't have a specific need for the advantages the Mini has (like being able to crank out lots of back to back milk drinks or greater cup clearance), go for the Micra. It is a newer build with improved internal layout for easier repair and faster warmup times, insulated wand is included.

There is of course also the lead time issue. You'll wait a month or perhaps a bit more for the Micra but presumably a used Mini would be faster.

Can't really go wrong with either one it seems!

Ypuh

#3: Post by Ypuh »

I love my Mini. Used it everyday for at least 5-6 cups a day.

To be fair; it has proven absolute overkill for my needs, but that has also been part of the attraction. Choice would be a lot tougher with today's prices on the Mini and the introduction of the Micra on the market. Buying 2nd hand brings little risk with a Mini assuming they used filtered water.

The thing bothering me the most would be that list prices have increased by €1500-1800 in those 4-7 years so the original owner likely recoups (almost) its entire purchasing price. Good and explainable for owners (I would also receive the highest price I can get), but the Mini might simply be a bit too popular. If you can get a good deal second hand, why not.
I don't want a Decent

lagoon

#4: Post by lagoon »

If you don't need the increased cup clearance or extra back-to-back milk steaming, I'd go with the new Micra.

You get the brand new machine warranty coverage, plus the machine has some new innovations and design improvements over the Mini. For example, a proper saturated group, faster warmup, lower power consumption, smaller footprint.

Mochajoe

#5: Post by Mochajoe »

I am in the same boat, looking at the Micra but concerned about the innovations. That said, anything this new is bound to have issues (bugs) requiring factory updates. Good luck with your decision. For the money however, I would alway prefer new to an older machine without warranty.

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Shakespeare »

Nørgaard wrote:Hi all
I'm not really sure what to do here. The Danish price for a new Micra is ever so slightly higher than that of a 4-5 year old used mini.. so without further fuss and mumbling about: what would you buy and why?

I've read plenty of threads here on both the micra and the mini - but I haven't been able to find this exact dilemma.
Terrific question: You asked a simple question...Choose between the La Marzocco Mini and the Micra...if the
price was similar with 'No fuss or Mumbling'.

There has been an increase in the availability of well cared for used Marzocco Mini machines that I have seen lately for sale.
So, if I had to choose without any other reasons...such as size, available room, electricity etc.
And the Marzocco Mini was a couple of years old and the price was similar or lower than the Micra price...

Well! I would choose La Marzocco Mini...
I do like the Micra, especially due to its small size but that's just a personal consideration and it is not what you asked.

cb
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by cb »

Hej Anders. Fellow Dane here from Copenhagen.

The head space on the Micra is very small. If you only drink espresso, it'll be completely fine and is an awesome machine then but if you want to work with larger cups, it's going to feel very crammed, especially when using a scale, too. I returned it for this very reason and found the money to buy a Mini instead - which arrives this Thursday 8)

Also, if you want to play with more advanced stuff down the line, like flow control, it's not currently not possible on the Micra, AFAIK, whereas on the Mini you can get e.g. the EMP mod.

ron231

#8: Post by ron231 replying to cb »

EMP? I have seen a different flow control mod, details on this one?

Jake_G
Team HB

#9: Post by Jake_G »

ron231 wrote: EMP? I have seen a different flow control mod, details on this one?
La Marzocco Linea Mini EMP Mod
LMWDP #704

ron231

#10: Post by ron231 replying to Jake_G »

$1750 for that mod, no way, but thanks for posting.