New grinder until Niche Zero arrives

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
datbear26

#1: Post by datbear26 »

I am looking for a grinder I can buy now until my NZ arrives in September. I have an Aergrind, but I am tired of hand grinding for 2 minutes for one shot of espresso. I'm thinking about either getting a refurbished Sette 270 or a Vario. I will definitely use it for espresso but also the occasional pour over so I think both fit my range. Both are right around $300 so I guess that is my budget right now. After watching Sette videos, I feel like it sounds sort of like a paper shredder, is that true?
Also, I drink a lot of light roast coffee, is there any grinder that would do well enough with light roast for a month or should I just use more medium roast until the NZ arrives?
Thanks

badgerbimmer

#2: Post by badgerbimmer »

I have a Sette a Vario and a Niche Zero. Either the Sette or Vario will work just fine for your needs. I prefer the Sette for whatever that is worth.

drown

#3: Post by drown »

Get the best hand grinder you can afford. Will be good for traveling or when power goes out or camping...,or...
Geography is War

Abecker

#4: Post by Abecker »

I have a Sette 270 and the sound isnt great, but it is only for 5 seconds at a time. I'm planning on buying a Niche Zero to replace it soon. The refurb price is pretty good for it.

lsun22

#5: Post by lsun22 »

I actually just sold my sette 270 in preparation for niche zero. I have a lido et and aergrind. Aergrind is just tooooooooooooo slow. I'm thinking of just doing pour overs and aeropress till the NZ comes.

datbear26 (original poster)

#6: Post by datbear26 (original poster) replying to lsun22 »

Yes, the aergrind is way too slow. I can't wait for the Niche Zero.

I just grabbed a refurb Sette 270 and I figure I can resell it in like a month or two for around the same that I bought it for so little to no loss. I appreciate all of the advice.

lsun22

#7: Post by lsun22 replying to datbear26 »

you know what actually. you can buy an electric screwdriver to grind on the aergrind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rmi6YOMgiE

something like this probably, i'd keep the rpms low. https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-Screwdri ... B01H2YSG4S

sweaner

#8: Post by sweaner »

If we can keep this thread going long enough his Niche will arrive!
Scott
LMWDP #248