New Grinder for my La Marzocco Linea Mini

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Mostafafawzy

#1: Post by Mostafafawzy »

Hello everyone,

I've been looking to upgrade my sette 270 as it's not keeping up with the LMLM and i'm getting terrible consistency.

I've been looking at the below options and they range in price range but i need some help to make my final decision. I only grinder for espresso atm and don't think i'll be going for anything else very soon, i also currently single dose.

Monolith MC4
Weber The Key
Mahlkönig E43S
Ditting 807 Lab Sweet
P64
Ceado 37s
Atom 75
K10 Conic PB

If people could let me know if there are other options out there. I also don't want to wait too long for one and i know some of the above have very long waiting times.

Bebopbird

#2: Post by Bebopbird »

What is your preference in terms of roast levels. How important is the workflow component of the grinder? You've listed both conical and flat burrs, some single dose and some on demand. Al of the ones you've listed are fairly high end and will work well with your espresso, I think the main criteria will come down to serviceability, burr size/style, physical size, aesthetics, and usability.

redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

Noticed the absence of the Versalab M4. Used the older M3 at a friend's Roastery for espresso with excellent cup results. Added bonus is the quick grind speed and ease of cleaning.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

drH

#4: Post by drH »

Since you are looking at the top end, I'd also add the Lagom P100 to the list. I have a Lab Sweet on the way and I'm happy to update you on my experience, although I know you must have read all the online reviews already.

Mostafafawzy (original poster)

#5: Post by Mostafafawzy (original poster) »

So at the moment I'm single dosing and something that would really help is a grinder that's low retention as it helps me dial in easier without having to purge a lot between shots. I'm looking for a bit on convince too here like an easier workflow so I don't always have to weight the grinds. I'm normally drinking blends at the moment which I'd say are medium roast and my machine too doesn't have the capabilities of pressure profiling so I know I can't get the best out of lighter roasts and that's why I'm thinking that a conical grinder would be the best for me. I think the mc4 is a good option but you could be waiting ages and never even get one as they're so limited. The 43s is the cheapest where I live and the distributor can ship it with the burrs fully aligned. It doesn't have the best workflow for espresso and is still very big but it's easily available. I was also looking at the key because to me that looks amazing in style but is also very functional to single dosing and has conical burrs. As you can see I'm a little all over the place with my thinking and wanted to see what people have bought and if they'd recommend it or not.

dockoelboto

#6: Post by dockoelboto »

You have listed a ton of great options.

I think like others have stated it comes down to what type of workflow/roast level and aesthetics you are going after.

I have a LMLM and an MC4 on pre-order. I considered the p100, versalab M4 and some of the others on the list. Versalab was a close second, my main reason behind not choosing that was the noise. Plus I live in the Seattle area where Kafatek are made. The p100 wasn't available to order and I primarily drink medium roasts so I didn't necessarily need that burr set. I am a big fan of single dosing and wanted to continue with that method.
The MC4, for me, just fit best.

I don't think you can go wrong, all are going to be excellent.

brokenlungs

#7: Post by brokenlungs »

Went from a niche to a downgrade of the mahlkonig x54 and I missed the single dose but liked the flavors of flat burrs. Went with a Ceado E37SD and am very very happy.