New grinder for espresso and V60 in 2022 or 2023

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
spiffdude

#1: Post by spiffdude »

Looking to replace my Compak K10 Pro Barista with something at least as good but little more versatile.

I have a Profitec Pro 800 for making espresso and my wife likes a V60 for her second drink of the day.

I tried to grind for the V60 on the K10, a little scary as it looked like I was running out of threads on the adjustment collar. I couldn't even lock in the setting lol.

The coffees we use are light-ish to medium roast, SO and blends. Nothing super light or super fussy.

On any given day, I will prepare several espresso drinks using different beans (some decaf, 'cause we getting old you know). Our local coffee roaster is literally 2 streets over so I go over there a lot to try different things. Escape Coffee Roasters for those that are curious.

I need a single dose grinder for sure, but that can do espresso and V60... so my understanding is that I need a flat burr grinder with a wide enough adjustment range.

The EG-1 would be a no brainer, but at 5 800 CAD, it's really hurting my brain even if I could afford it.

I was therefore looking at the Kafatek Monolith Flat (not the MAX), since the 3 500 CAD is more palatable. It looks like I might not be able to get my hands on one anytime soon though, no button to pre-order one so far. The MAX looks like an option, but the cost is creeping up there into brain-hurt territory.

I have a feeling the Niche Zero would be somewhat of a downgrade from a user experience and perceive quality point of view. Plus I can't stomach the look of it.

I've also looked at the Ceado e37 SD, but there is little info out there is seems for this one. Is it a good option? Why is it not getting attention.

Any other options in between that I should consider?
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Keep the K10 and pick up a Fellow Ode, etc., for pourover? Going back and forth on grind adjustment every day can be a challenge.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

spiffdude (original poster)

#3: Post by spiffdude (original poster) »

True. I'd need to negotiate more real estate on the kitchen counter, but I see your point about messing around with the grind setting.

bigfatpug

#4: Post by bigfatpug »

I've been racking my brain over this as well. We are looking for a single-dose v60/Chemex/Espresso etc do it all grinder. Our options seem to be quite limited here in Canada, and I'm not sure if there's a grinder on the market that fits this need. Two grinders, as some have suggested is going to take some spousal convincing, plus there's the space issue. The Niche, with it's espresso focused conical burrs, will not do a great job when it comes to pour over. Maybe the DF64? But I think it's kind of ugly and cheap looking. So right now I'm just in the waiting phase. I think there's some new grinders hitting the market soon that fill this need. Until then, we wait.

I think the makers of the DF64 are releasing some new grinders soon, as is Fellow. I guess you could also join a waitlist for a Lagom P64, and hope you get one in 2023. Either way, you're stuck waiting.

CamBam_HB

#5: Post by CamBam_HB »

That would have been my suggestion as well.
In my short history with coffee, I've never found one single grinder that can do it all consistently.
Best combination is a espresso grinder that you are happy with along with a dedicated brew grinder.
I use a fellow ode at work and an old ditting at home for brew duty.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by ShotClock »

Faced with this choice, and wanting to keep to a single grinder, i bought a monolith flat with SLM burrs. It's amazingly good for brewed coffee, and produces drinks better than anything that I've had in a cafe pretty much every time. For medium roasted espresso, I'm not convinced that it's a great choice, since the Niche zero is a fraction of the price, and produces quite similar results to my taste. Maybe if you're drinking light roasted espresso things would be different, but I'm rarely tempted down that path myself. A small second grinder - maybe a Lagom mini - will provide decent results at a fraction of the price, but maybe not the stellar pour over that the monolith produces. I haven't found that switching grind back and forth is too much of a pain, but u guess that's personal choice. The monolith is also fairly fussy regarding puck prep compared to a nice conical in my experience, but that might be my lack of skill...

Quick edit - i bought an ode a while ago and returned it due to poor alignment. Seems an uncommon experience, but also seems that you can eliminate this risk completely with Kafatek, Option-O, Weber etc.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

There are plenty of grinders that can do espresso OR pourover. However, there are only a few that can go back and forth between espresso AND pourover on a daily basis.

Then there are the compromises that one has to make, in terms of cost, or taste, or size, or speed ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Madman13

#8: Post by Madman13 replying to baldheadracing »

Agree with this statement.. get an espresso grinder and an ode for pour over.I have a monolith flat ssp, bunzilla, and two odes (one with ssp multipurpose and one with lab sweet burrs) and I can tell you that the odes are excellent for pourover.

imp96

#9: Post by imp96 »

I don't understand the hate for the DF64, it's a fine-looking grinder that works very well and is significantly cheaper than any of the competitors. Yes, it doesn't have a premium finish but nothing about it feels cheap. As long as you RDT and use the below it works fine. The only complaint is that occasionally about 0.3g of coffee get stuck in the chute and the bellows can't get it out. For filter grind there are no retention issues.

spiffdude (original poster)

#10: Post by spiffdude (original poster) »

Noted DF64/83 and Lagom as options. Will need to read-up on those since I have no way of testing any of them before purchase.

Is it a fair consensus that I would need to move the flat burrs to do espresso AND V60?

The real solution is two grinders, I agree. But space is limited in my kitchen, I need to live inside the footprint of my existing K10 and Pro 800.