New grinder - budget in $1500 or so range, recommendations?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
RedBarchetta

#1: Post by RedBarchetta »

Hey all - finding that we're making decafs more often than expected so I'm going to make my current grinder (Eureka Specialita) the dedicated decaf one and pick up a new one. I mostly lean towards the darker roasts and like the idea of the Lucca Atom from Clive, particularly for the exact reading on burr separation. Are there any other ones I should be looking at? trying to keep it in the $1500 or so range...
Thanks!
Mark

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

If you're looking for a hoppered grinder, what I've read about the Atom 75 has been generally positive, even after the "honeymoon" period. Lucca Atom 75 Espresso Grinder Review suggests that it has a flavor profile in line with the best of the classic grinders, well balanced for classic espresso. I've read that review a few times and, for me, the grind-adjustment method isn't an earth-shattering feature. As I recall, there isn't a significant premium for the Lucca Atom over the Atom 75 ($50??).

If you're open to single-dosing workflow, the Niche Zero is a pleasure to work with and performs well in the cup. As the P64 is significantly more with SSP burrs (and over your $1,500 target), it is hard for me to argue that it is going to be "obviously" better in the cup for classic espresso (over either the Atom 75 or the Niche Zero), even with dumping more money into the burr-of-the-month club's latest selections.

GregoryJ

#3: Post by GregoryJ »

The Atoms are excellent grinders. I think you'd especially like the smoother adjustment coming from the Mignon.

I don't know how often you're doing decaf, but if it's only ~1 shot per day, you might consider a nice hand grinder for decaf and keep the Mignon on regular duty. When I compared the Mignon and Atom 75 side by side I liked the taste of both of them equally, so I think the Mignon is a really good performer.