Which espresso machine under $5000 budget for light & dark roasts

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Chillodedillo

#1: Post by Chillodedillo »

Hey, I'm in big trouble, having my head full of machines but can't decide which one to go with.

My drink profile is 75% light roast espressos and 25% medium/dark roast with milk.
The machine that I'm working with at the moment is a flair pro 2, but the whole workflow with pre heating every thing isn't the best anymore, also I want a stable temperature.
The possibility of pressure profiling is also a must have for me, I love to play with those things.

Price should be under 5000$, I know at that price point there are a lot of machines to chose from, decent, londinium, acs vesuvius evo leva, but I just can't decide which one.

What do you think, which machine fits best to my drink profile?
I'm also open to machines that I haven't mentioned yet.
My goal is to have a machine that always delivers and then I want to go on with a grinder to find out what grinder specific tastes notes I like the most.
Hope everyone can understand what I'm searching for since my English isn't the best.
Thank you all!

Breck

#2: Post by Breck »

I was recently in a similar situation, though I primarily drink medium blends with occasional forays out to the ends of the roast spectrum. Ended up with the ECM Synchronika with flow control, and couldn't be happier right now. Still very much in honeymoon phase, but a BIG step up from my La Pavoni, and one that I won't outgrow soon.

I also wanted the experience of using an E61 at home, tough at some point there will be a companion lever machine, I'm sure!

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

I have heard that the Lelit Bianca is better priced in Europe than in the US. I would consider that along with the Synchronika and Profitec Pro, all with flow control.

I don't know European pricing on the La Marzocco GS3 MP.

One of the newer-generation levers would also be in my list. I don't know enough about them to make a recommendation among them.

luvmy40

#4: Post by luvmy40 »

Buy the DE1 and a great grinder(MC4, Monlith Flat Max, P64, etc...) and don't look back.

kidloco

#5: Post by kidloco »

Hm, as a former DE owner I will recommend two levers :)

ACS Leva, and LR24.

Don't want lever? Go Bianca. Had all machines I recommended besides ACS,

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would recommend a double boiler E61 machine with or without flow control, as you prefer. Perhaps an Izzo Alex Duetto IV or an ECM Synchronika, plumbed in would be best.

With attention to prep detail these machines can make outstanding shots with good coffee and when coupled with a good grinder.

One of the aspects of these E61 machines that I've come to appreciate after years of ownership is the ease of servicing by the owner if you're the least bit handy and availability of parts from numerous sources so that you're never out of luck and left waiting long for parts shipment.

Sooner or later all machines will require servicing. It's an important consideration before purchase.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by JB90068 »

You should be able to get a Synchronika for around $3400. An LM GS3 will likely put you over your budget but not by a lot. Either of them are excellent and not something you will outgrow.

When you are ready for a new grinder be prepared to spend an additional $2500 - $4000 for something that will be equal to your new espresso machine. The higher end grinders will allow you to utilize your FC to pull all the nuances out of your roasts.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Chillodedillo (original poster)

#8: Post by Chillodedillo (original poster) »

I pulled the trigger on the ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva
For me it sounds like the perfect machine.
Thank you all for the response!
Will update this post and let you know how happy I am with my choice.