NEW* ECM Classika VS USED* Rocket Mozzafiato Type R - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Thehomebrewcoffee (original poster)

#21: Post by Thehomebrewcoffee (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:A PID on virtually any HX machine is little more than a marketing bullet point. The steam-boiler temperature is so unpredictably far, thermodynamically, from the group and brew temperature, that you still need a flush routine. You need a group-head thermometer if you intend to hit within 1-2°C or better, which sort of rules out flow control. (The Lelit MaraX is a notable exception, as it monitors the group/HX temperature and swings the steam boiler to do a good job of keeping it within reasonable bounds.) Some also suggest that a PID is more reliable than a pressurestat. My experience with European machines and their electrical and electronic components doesn't instill confidence.

Five or ten years ago, a shot timer seemed a valuable feature. Now, your phone probably has a stopwatch with split-timing that can measure pump on, first drops, and done with ease.

You'll no doubt get suggestions for a Breville Dual Boiler ("BDB"). If you're a tinkerer and don't mind doing the routine maintenance on it, they get great reviews from their owners and even one manufacturer that decided not to try to compete with it at its price.

I'd definitely consider the Lelit MaraX and the Elizabeth

If you're willing to wait and see how it turns out, there's ECM Puristika "coming soon"?

For a real gamble, with lots of both upside and downside potential, there's the Odyssey Espresso (Argos Lever prototype) (spring-lever machine at under US$1,000, I don't know Canadian pricing or availability)

Edits:

Any E61 is going to take 30-45 min to stabilize. A smart plug can help mitigate this.

On the grinder, I've heard great things about the Peak burrs. 64 mm SJ-fitting means you can explore some of the new burr cuts there as well. It seems like you're in good shape with grinders!
Jeff thanks for the recommendation I have trashed the idea of the classika and I have just ordered the odyssey!
Home Brew Coffee - Stereo Coffee Roasters - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Advertisement
Bluenoser

#22: Post by Bluenoser »

Ypuh wrote: I did learn something new today so thanks for that Jeff and Bluenoser, but question its relevance. As OP states, he only makes coffee for himself. .
I would agree.. but also note that even after spending, say $2k5, on an HX with PID, you need to spend another xxx ($200 in Canada) for a group thermometer so you have some feedback on what to set the PID.. without it you have no confirmation what the brew water temp might be. I think the Classika, being a single boiler, would have more predictable brew water at the cost of process overhead if you needed milk.

Ypuh

#23: Post by Ypuh »

Capuchin Monk wrote:On a side note, your machine's motor sounds loud. Is it normal for Rocket Evo R?
I guess it's just really quite in my kitchen.
Bluenoser wrote:I would agree.. but also note that even after spending, say $2k5, on an HX with PID, you need to spend another xxx ($200 in Canada) for a group thermometer so you have some feedback on what to set the PID.. without it you have no confirmation what the brew water temp might be. I think the Classika, being a single boiler, would have more predictable brew water at the cost of process overhead if you needed milk.
The temp sensor is spot on with the table provided in the Rocket manual (PID is set to 120).

Thehomebrewcoffee wrote:Jeff thanks for the recommendation I have trashed the idea of the classika and I have just ordered the odyssey!
Congratulations and also a surprising twist. It has none of the requirements stated in your OP (E61, PID, shottimer) and is a largely unknown machine from an unknown manufacturer. Can't follow, but that's not a negative per se :roll:
I don't want a Decent

Thehomebrewcoffee (original poster)

#24: Post by Thehomebrewcoffee (original poster) »

Yea I would only leave the e61 for a spring lever and it does have a pid, shot timer it is missing though but that's fine if I can get a lever but I am concerned about the drip tray size as that's my biggest pet peeve with the Silvia
Home Brew Coffee - Stereo Coffee Roasters - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Capuchin Monk

#25: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Bluenoser wrote:you need to spend another xxx ($200 in Canada) for a group thermometer so you have some feedback on what to set the PID..
I believe it can be done for less with something like this if one has temp. reader as he did.

Bluenoser

#26: Post by Bluenoser replying to Capuchin Monk »

I don't think that'd be easy to mount inside the group.. If it were, lots would be doing it. The threaded channel in the front of every group is the only easy access for entry.. that's why the thermometers are designed to fit it.

to the OP.. the Odyssey sounds neat.. the developer has set quite a task for himself .. I certainly hope it is successful, that is the direction I plan to go when my HX dies.. Something that can do 2-4 shots for under $1000 and can do milk; and requires as little maintenance as possible.

Capuchin Monk

#27: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Bluenoser wrote:I don't think that'd be easy to mount inside the group.. If it were, lots would be doing it. The threaded channel in the front of every group is the only easy access for entry.. that's why the thermometers are designed to fit it.
I'm thinking of getting one of these for my experiment.

Advertisement
Capuchin Monk

#28: Post by Capuchin Monk »

The above thermometer probe arrived and I put it through a test. It works. Not bad for $12 investment.