New Ceado E37S vs E37SD

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
leonelbego

#1: Post by leonelbego »

Hi all,

if you would have the chance to get one of these S or SD models, which one would you take? would you really only take the SD (Single Dose) model if you change beans often? or would you also get the SD model if you use the same bean all the time but just want to be very precise? what are your thoughts?

If I do only 1-2 coffees per day and on the weekend maybe a little more for my wife and me, would the SD be too much work? I just want to avoid buying one of these models and then regretting not getting the other version :-/ and I know, is a very personal choice, but would like to hear your opinions!

thanks a lot,
Leo

lsun22

#2: Post by lsun22 »

i'd recommend the SD or just single dosing in general if you change beans a lot. even "low retention" grinders were causing my shots to get all messed up if there was a significant time between shots so easily being able to clean out the grounds is a big + and just impossible if you store beans in the hopper (except for eureka's blow up hopper).

mallen4248

#3: Post by mallen4248 »

I have the 37S with the the quick set gear and I really love it. I have updated the burrs to the SSP red speed, while the burrs are slightly better I'm not totally sold on the cost/improvement. If you are not changing coffees everyday or very often, I'm not sure single dosing would be worth the added cost of the SD. The Ceado (mine anyway) has very low retention, however I'm not sure it would be the best single dosing grinder. All that said, I'm very -pleased with the Ceado that I have as it is fast, consistent and quiet. I thought I wanted to single dose, but after daily use it was not for me but ymmv.
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

leonelbego (original poster)

#4: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to mallen4248 »

Thanks a lot for your comment :)

And what about a person that maybe during the week doesn't really make coffees (I drink coffees at work during the week, eventually 1 in the evening when back from work, but not always). So, I do make more coffees during the weekend and the rest of the days the machine is off. Would you still go for the S instead Of SD?

dsblv

#5: Post by dsblv »

It doesn't sound like you really know if you need a specialized single dosing grinder or not. You can always single dose with the E37S and see if that fits your needs. I initially started out by using my E37S in single dosing mode and switched to just feeding beans through the hopper. I found hopper mode was just simpler.

#6: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to dsblv »

Thank you! :)

What would then your advice if I don't use the machine everyday? What happens with those old beans that remain in the chamber for a couple of days?

What does it mean "feeding beans through the hopper"? you mean just as normal put an amount of beans inside the hopper and then just leave it there?

My main concern are 2 things:

- coffee waste eveytime I want to dial in (die to purge etc) I guess with a single dose grinder I wouldn't have this problem

- not using fresh beans because the hopper carries old beans that stay there maybe for 2-3 days with no use.

Thanks again

dsblv

#7: Post by dsblv »

If you only make coffee every few days, then try the E37S in single-dosing mode. The E37S has very low retention of around 0.6g. That's negligible. You can leave your hopper in place and just feed in the beans you need for a one-time use. I did this for several months and it worked great.

I make several espressos a day and found single dosing to be too cumbersome. I now add a days worth of beans to the hopper and grind as I need it. That's what I meant by feeding beans through the hopper. In the morning, I grind about 1-2 grams of coffee to clear the old coffee from the grinder.

The E37S works well in either mode. The E37SD should make a great single dosing grinder, but it is just a slightly modified version of the S model, after all. The SD has a lower speed motor to reduce popcorning and includes coated burrs. Both models will have similar retention specs.

#8: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to dsblv »

Thank you, I get your thoughts and I appreciate your support! :)

Do you get consistency with your E37S? Meaning, for example, if today your extraction is perfect but maybe tomorrow you have not done any changes and all of the sudden the coffee is coming out way to fast or very slow for no reason?

RobindG

#9: Post by RobindG »

dsblv wrote:... it is just a slightly modified version of the S model, after all. The SD has a lower speed motor to reduce popcorning and includes coated burrs. Both models will have similar retention specs.
This!

#10: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to RobindG »

I thought the birds in the SD are titanium? Make it way more resistant and also more durable?

And how would be the best way to "single dose" with the S?

Thanks a lot :)