New Ceado E37S vs E37SD - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dsblv

#11: Post by dsblv »

I've had my E37S for a 1 1/2 years and it is incredibly consistent. I just grind, prep and pull the shot. I achieve the same results with each shot. I only have to make fine adjustments when switching coffees.

Having said that, I did have to improve my shot preparation process after getting the E37S. I initially experienced channeling and sour shots due to under extraction. To correct the issues, I lightly tap the portafilter spout on a tamping mat after grinding. This settles the grind and removes air pockets. I then use a grooming tool to level the puck. I then tamp, being sure to keep the puck level. Implementing these changes solved the issues and I've had consistent results ever since. I learned this technique from the staff at La Marzocco and it works.

dsblv

#12: Post by dsblv »

leonelbego wrote:I thought the burrs in the SD are titanium? Make it way more resistant and also more durable?

And how would be the best way to "single dose" with the S?
The SD burrs are titanium coated. The coating helps with the lower grinding speed of the SD model and reduces static. I upgraded my E37S with SSP burrs to produce the same result. I also noticed the SSP burrs reduced popcorning even at the higher motor speeds of the S model. But, upgrading burrs is completely optional. It's just something I wanted to try. The stock burrs on the S model are excellent.

Single dosing isn't anything special. You start off by running the grinder for a few seconds to clear any old grinds from the chamber. You then add the beans you need to produce the shot weight you're targeting. Next, you run the grinder in manual mode until the beans are all ground. That's it.

I didn't experience any static issues when single dosing my E37S. So, no extra prep steps were necessary in my case.

Advertisement
leonelbego (original poster)

#13: Post by leonelbego (original poster) »

dsblv wrote:I've had my E37S for a 1 1/2 years and it is incredibly consistent. I just grind, prep and pull the shot. I achieve the same results with each shot. I only have to make fine adjustments when switching coffees.

Having said that, I did have to improve my shot preparation process after getting the E37S. I initially experienced channeling and sour shots due to under extraction. To correct the issues, I lightly tap the portafilter spout on a tamping mat after grinding. This settles the grind and removes air pockets. I then use a grooming tool to level the puck. I then tamp, being sure to keep the puck level. Implementing these changes solved the issues and I've had consistent results ever since. I learned this technique from the staff at La Marzocco and it works.
That is awesome! I'm glad is working out :)

Do you leave the beans in the hopper let's say over night and the next day the extraction is still consistent? Meaning the running time is the same? Or so you get the coffee running slower or faster for no reason?

Do you mostly work with one type of beans and don't change too much type of beans?

Sorry for all the question, this grinder thing is driving me nuts :-/

#14: Post by leonelbego (original poster) »

dsblv wrote:The SD burrs are titanium coated. The coating helps with the lower grinding speed of the SD model and reduces static. I upgraded my E37S with SSP burrs to produce the same result. I also noticed the SSP burrs reduced popcorning even at the higher motor speeds of the S model. But, upgrading burrs is completely optional. It's just something I wanted to try. The stock burrs on the S model are excellent.

Single dosing isn't anything special. You start off by running the grinder for a few seconds to clear any old grinds from the chamber. You then add the beans you need to produce the shot weight you're targeting. Next, you run the grinder in manual mode until the beans are all ground. That's it.

I didn't experience any static issues when single dosing my E37S. So, no extra prep steps were necessary in my case.
May I kindly ask you where did you buy the SSP burrs? And how much did you pay? Let's say, if I would upgrade to those, would it work a little better for single dose? Do you see any positives improvements with the upgrade?

Is it difficult to change the original burrs to the SSP? And what is the meaning of SSP?

I swear I won't ask more :-/ sorryyyyy!

A million thanks :)
Leo

dsblv

#15: Post by dsblv »

I noticed you've started several posts on essentially the same topic. I'd recommend consolidating your posts to a single thread. Duplicating posts isn't good practice.

Here's my review of the SSP burrs: Review of SSP burrs for the Ceado E37S. SSP Grinding Solutions manufactures the burrs and you can check their web site for costs. Replacing the burrs is really for advanced users. Installation is tricky and you have to understand how to re-zero your grinder. I would recommend staying with your current burrs until you become proficient using the grinder.

I think you're making too big a deal out of single dosing with the E37S. Just do it and gain experience. If you don't like single dosing then use the grinder in hopper mode. It's really that simple.

#16: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to dsblv »

Thank you! And yes, I agree, I will delete my other posts!

You are very kind and your help is appreciated it.

Thanks

#17: Post by leonelbego (original poster) »

dsblv wrote:I noticed you've started several posts on essentially the same topic. I'd recommend consolidating your posts to a single thread. Duplicating posts isn't good practice.

Here's my review of the SSP burrs: Review of SSP burrs for the Ceado E37S. SSP Grinding Solutions manufactures the burrs and you can check their web site for costs. Replacing the burrs is really for advanced users. Installation is tricky and you have to understand how to re-zero your grinder. I would recommend staying with your current burrs until you become proficient using the grinder.

I think you're making too big a deal out of single dosing with the E37S. Just do it and gain experience. If you don't like single dosing then use the grinder in hopper mode. It's really that simple.
Just tried deleting 1-2 of my posts and for some reason I can't. I'm new to this and therefore sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you again for your all your support and advices!

Advertisement
mohninme

#18: Post by mohninme »

dsblv wrote:I noticed you've started several posts on essentially the same topic. I'd recommend consolidating your posts to a single thread. Duplicating posts isn't good practice.

leonelbego wrote:Just tried deleting 1-2 of my posts and for some reason I can't. I'm new to this and therefore sorry for the inconvenience.
Thank you again for your all your support and advices!
I agree with dsblv. Spend some time with the grinder and learn along the way. I also recently added the E37S to my work flow and it was a big adjustment from single dosing with my Sette. I am very satisfied with the grind quality but I was not initially impressed with single dosing with it but that is primarily due to it just being a change. I am currently using the hopper and it works very well. I always do a short purge before using it (a few grams) to clean out what sits at the top of the chute. I will likely revert to try single dosing with it again in the future. There is a lot of info here on HB already regarding this grinder. Do some reading, perform some testing and have some fun using this exceptional grinder!
Michael

#19: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to mohninme »

Thank you and I agree with you both, I will learn and experiment more with my grinder :)

Just for me to know, out of curiosity, you were single dosing with your Sette and you will likely revert to single dosing with the E37S, if that's the case, why didn't you better buy the SD version?

Thanks again and congrats on the new grinder :)

Leo

mohninme

#20: Post by mohninme replying to leonelbego »

I purchased my E37S used. New to me :D

Edit:
I currently use both grinders for two separate blends. I anticipate using the E37S in the future to single dose and I appreciate that the S version can do both (single dose and hopper).
Michael