Need a reality check before pulling the trigger - Page 2

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
narwhal

Postby narwhal » Jan 09, 2019, 12:07 am

I just bought a Specialita. It's definitely small but good looking. The adjustment knob is pretty smooth and convenient compared to turning the whole hopper. I think Clive's hype about this grinder is real. I'm not an expert, but if I had your total budget, I might be looking for more grinder and less machine.

/forums/userpix/34840_carola_with_grinder.jpg

imahawki

Postby imahawki » Jan 09, 2019, 12:14 pm

Thanks to all who responded. I ended up doing a live chat with Clive Coffee and purchased the Profitec Pro 600 and Eureka Mignon Specialita from them. It should arrive this coming Monday. Naturally I'm very excited.

Capac

Postby Capac » Jan 09, 2019, 1:11 pm

Congratulations on the purchase! The rig shouldn't dissapoint you :).

Znekcihc

Postby Znekcihc » Jan 09, 2019, 5:02 pm

Congrats . I have the pro 700. And I'm super happy with it. I'm curious how that grinder would fare against mighty 64?

guydebord

Postby guydebord » Jan 09, 2019, 8:51 pm

You made the right decision with the Specialita, after using it for a few months I cannot say anything negative about it, which wasn't the case with my previous grinders.

narwhal

Postby narwhal » Jan 09, 2019, 11:29 pm

Congrats!

My only complaint about the specialita is the portafilter holder is a little too clever in how it mounts to the machine. it both latches in and has a magnet retainer. Without going too deep into the mechanics of the problem, the end result is that the holder floats around quite a bit in the machine's slot. Here's my solution:

Luckily, it's a shiny silver solution :)

Oh and the sharp back side of the holder's bolt could also theoretically hit the face of the machine, so i put a little rubber sticky bumper behind it. Small design flaws, happy overall.