Need a new grinder. Suggestions within $1000 budget?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cruzmisl

#1: Post by cruzmisl »

Hi All,
I'm looking for a grinder to replace my Rancilio MD40. I'd like something that will be an improvement, if it's possible within my budget of $1000. I don't want to spend money just to get something that looks newer. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Joe

JonR10

#2: Post by JonR10 »

How do you define "improvement"?
For a couple hundred bucks you could get an MD-50, that would be a step up.

Do you want bigger? Faster? Quieter? Features? Grind Quality?
For under $1k there are alot of great options.....here are a few that would be a serious improvement:

Macap Stepless Conical MXK

Cimbali Max Hybrid

Mazzer Super Jolly

Mazzer Major

Baratza Vario

But which is best for you depends on your own criteria....what are you looking for?
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

cruzmisl (original poster)

#3: Post by cruzmisl (original poster) »

For me, the grind quality is the reason for buying a new one. Ideally the same size as the MD40 would best too as I don't have a ton of room.
Thanks!
Joe

zin1953

#4: Post by zin1953 »

cruzmisl wrote:For me, the grind quality is the reason for buying a new one . . .
Any of Jon's suggestions would be (IMHO) an improvement over the MD40. The problem here is going to be size.

MD40:
50 mm flat burrs
Stepped
6.75" wide x 13" deep x 17.75" high

Macap Stepless Conical MXK:
63mm conical burrs
Stepless
8.7" wide x 14.6" deep x 23.6" high

Cimbali Max Hybrid:
64mm conical/flat combination burr set
Stepless ("micrometrical")
8.5" wide x 14" deep x 17" high

Mazzer Super Jolly:
64mm flat burrs
7.75" wide x 10.5" deep x 23.5" high (may be operated without the hopper)

Mazzer Major:
83mm flat burrs
8" wide x 12.25" deep x 24.5" high (may be operated without the hopper)

Baratza Vario:
54mm flat burrs (ceramic)
macro/micro grind adjustment with 230 settings (i.e.: not quite stepless, but close)
4.5" wide x 7.25" deep x 14.2" high

All are under $1,000 new; all are fine grinders. I've not used the Macap (but JonR has, and I trust his opinion.) I love my Cimbali May Hybrid. Certainly the Mazzer Super Jolly, and its "big brother" the Major, are long established, well-proven standards in many coffee houses and cafés. The Baratza Vario is the "new kid on the block," but the reports from users have convinced me this will be my next grinder, as I need to add a second grinder at home for decaf, etc. (My primary home grinder is over $1,000, and thus not a part of this discussion.)

Which is right for you, however, may be different than for someone else. It depends upon your usage pattern -- what you want the grinder to do, how you use the grinder, etc. As JonR said, "What are you looking for?"

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Bluegrod

#5: Post by Bluegrod »

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Mazzer Mini since space is a problem. If space is really a problem the hopper can be easily modded as many people have done. I have recently upgraded to my mini and love it. It can be had for under 500 on e-bay and for a little over 600 new on plenty of other sites and thus leaving you with an excellent grinder and extra money for other goodies.

cruzmisl (original poster)

#6: Post by cruzmisl (original poster) »

Space is an issue but not a huge problem. I have unlimited height and standard counter depth but the width between my machine and another counter is only 8.66 inches.

If I had to, I could get a new granite counter made but I would rather not, that's gonna cost some loot.

So based on that they'll all fit, save the MACAP, (the Cimbali Max is actually only 6.5" wide and 8.5" with the handle which isn't a problem)

Right now I grind and then sweep back into the doser. The doserless concept looks interesting though. The Mazzer Mini Electronic Doserless caught my eye too.

Should I be looking for a conical blade or is a large flat blade OK too? Does it really matter? The Max Hybrid sounds interesting too but I hear lots of coffee gets trapped in the chute and replacement burrs are difficult if not impossible to find.....

Joe

JonR10

#7: Post by JonR10 »

Bluegrod wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned the Mazzer Mini since space is a problem.
The width is not much less than a Super Jolly and right now ChrisCoffee offers the Super Jolly new for $680. In my view, the Mazzer Mini wouldn't be a big step up in grind quality but the Super Jolly certainly would be, and at $680 is may be the most grinder for the dollar (new) on the market.

I have not used (or seen) a max Hybrid but from all accounts the grind quality is exemplary. From what I've read, those that like this grinder tend to leave beans in the hopper and do not change blends frequently.

The Super Jolly is fairly fast and quiet and *very* solidly built, grind quality is excellent. The nice shiny polished stainless grounds tray is quite wider than the grinder but of course that's an optional accessory. I feel that people far too often say "built like a tank" to describe equipment that is NOT, so please consider that when I say Mazzer grinders are built like tanks I mean that your great grandchildren could probably use the Super Jolly long after you are gone (they'll probably want to put new burrs in it)

The Baratza Vario isn't built like a Mazzer but the grind quality is comparable and the features are really cool. The doserless grinding with almost zero grounds retention reduces waste and the timer function allows you to grind a very consistent dose each time without weighing the coffee. This one may not be around for your great grandchildren but it does seem quite well made and the manufacturer's support is excellent.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

Bluegrod

#8: Post by Bluegrod »

Although I agree that the super jolly would be a huge upgrade as far as grind quality goes I would have to say I love my mini. I believe it to be one of the best grinders for home usage. I would also agree that the cimbali is an excellent grinder and I know someone that has one but the big question with that is do you stay with one grind or do you switch between brew methods. The cimbali is not the best choice if you surf the settings alot as changing the grind is a tedious job.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

The Mini would be more a lateral move than a big jump up the grinder scale. If you keep an eye out you can pick up a second hand Super Jolly for $250-300. Drop in a new set of burrs and spend all that extra cash on top notch coffee for feeding the beast.
Dave Stephens

kahvedelisi

#10: Post by kahvedelisi »

about rancilio md-50; I own one and unless you're pouring shot after shot, it's definitely not for home use. Grind quality, build, materials used all amazing, changing grind settings is piece of cake --BUT-- like all commercial rancilio products it's designed for commercial use and more important than that, it's designed for matching the needs of italian market (full doser etc). it's neither a "grind per shot" grinder, nor "I'm changing beans a lot" type of grinder.

a) forget about grinding per shot, the chute is soo deep (d:7cm, w:5cm, h:2.3cm), even if you're not obsessive about grounds sitting at chute, you'll have to use a brush to get 'em everytime
b) whenever you're changing the grind setting --due to chute design-- you'll have to pulse your grinder and clean the chute several times during the process
c) doser sweeps well but not as clean as cimbali junior

Resistance is futile. You will be caffeinated!