Need a fast heating machine for espresso only with volumetric doses = is there alternatives to the the Ascaso Uno PID ?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CoffeeCat

#1: Post by CoffeeCat »

Hello,
After a long search I found the Ascaso Uno PID is about the only machine that fits my needs. Here are the features I am looking for:
- machine ready to pull an espresso in a very quick time
- volumetric doses
- preinfusion
- adjustable OPV
Since the machines using a boiler usually don't heat up fast enough and volumetric doses are rare, that doesn't let much choises.
But maybe do you have other recommandations?
Thank you!

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

You're now making a choice to get worse espresso for a machine only for faster warmup? Buy a better machine and leave it on 24/7 so you don't have to worry about heatup time and can enjoy great espresso whenever you want. Or buy a nespresso instead.

And with a towel around the group an E-61 will also be warm in 15minutes.

Advertisement
palica

#3: Post by palica »

erik82 wrote:You're now making a choice to get worse espresso for a machine only for faster warmup? Buy a better machine and leave it on 24/7 so you don't have to worry about heatup time and can enjoy great espresso whenever you want. Or buy a nespresso instead.
Do you have an Ascaso? :roll:
I do (and other machines too). It is heating very quickly (1 mn to get to 92/94, I give it another mn or 2 to heat up the open bottom, a few more mns to heat up standard PF). With the PID, temperature is very stable. And the price is quite good, so not sure what you mean with "worse espresso" :wink:
Leaving a machine plugged 24/24 is a worse choice IMO.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

I've worked with an Ascaso and it's not a very good espresso machine. Temperature stability is terrible just like a Silvia, even with a PID. Yes it's fast and affordable but not comparable to a prosumer E-61 espresso machine or better. And at the other far end leaving a LM GS3 on for 24/7 is far from a worse choice but a much better choice if you want really good espresso. So it kind of depends on how you look at it.

CoffeeCat (original poster)

#5: Post by CoffeeCat (original poster) »

I'm not sure in what world your are living for having a machine heating 24/7.

Also the Ascaso Steel PID has been tested and provides excellent temperature stability.

Then I haven't seen many, if one, E61 machine with volumetric dosing (e. in the same price range).

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

erik82 wrote:You're now making a choice to get worse espresso for a machine only for faster warmup? Buy a better machine and leave it on 24/7 so you don't have to worry about heatup time and can enjoy great espresso whenever you want. Or buy a nespresso instead.

And with a towel around the group an E-61 will also be warm in 15minutes.
Kaffeemacher.ch has done tests on the newer generation of Ascaso thermoblock machines, albeit with the Duo (has a second thermoblock for steam) and the Dream PID. The results were impressive, but, like any machine, there are limitations, e.g., the location of the flowmeter:
https://kaffeemacher.de/blogs/espressom ... o-pid-test
https://www.kaffeemacher.ch/blog/ascaso-steel-duo-pid/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Dartiguan

#7: Post by Dartiguan »

Decent DE1.4

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

Except for the portafilter not being warm, my Decent is hot in under 2.5 minutes. Or a electric kettle and a Robot.

nisb

#9: Post by nisb »

Dalla Corte machines also fit the bill, as the grouphead is integrated in the boiler. Fully warm in 7-8m (incl. portafilter). Volumetric dosing as well. But a new Mina costs the same as a Decent...

maximatica

#10: Post by maximatica »

If your budget can handle the price, the Breville BDB will be fully hot in under 10 minutes.

Does everything you want and much (MUCH) more.

If you work at it, you can probably get one close to $1300 or so or get a used one.

Very high-value product.

I had an E61 for 12 years and a Maximatic for 12 years before that. Wish I'd had the BDB all those years instead.

HTH