Need advice on deciding an upgrade from Baratza Sette 270

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
kaffetranerd

#1: Post by kaffetranerd »

Hi all,

I am currently owning a Rocket Appartamento and Sette 270 for the past 3 plus years. I am currently looking for an upgrade to the grinder (hopefully a significant upgrade but not to the very expensive side). I did consider the Ceado E37S but the pre-2019 version is sold out almost everywhere I can find that actually ships to Singapore, while the new 2019 E37S is totally out of my budget for a new grinder.

I have been considering the E37J instead, but when I asked one of the local retailer here they kind of suggested me to go for the Eureka Mignon Specialita for home use. Therefore, I am really struggling to make a decision. My budget does stretch to be able to afford the E37J, but I am aware the relatively large retention of the E37J (which means probably I should not be doing single dose anymore like what I have been doing on my Sette 270 for the past 3 years, if I were to purchase the E37J).

For my next grinder, I certainly hope that I can get the same kind of fluffiness like how the Sette 270 is able to achieve, and most importantly, I hope that it is a significant upgrade from Sette 270 in terms of particles distribution, performance, etc. I am not sure besides E37J, is there any other models that you all are able to recommend to me? Considering the budget that I can stretch to, and the value and performance, do you think Eureka Mignon Specialita is a better choice compared to E37J? Or I should be getting another model instead?

Appreciate if there is any advice provided. Thank you very much in advance.

maxbmello

#2: Post by maxbmello »

When you say upgrade, do you mean in terms of in the cup quality, or build quality/consistency? I don't own a sette, but from what I hear it produces a high quality cup that would take a significant upgrade to get better.

If you are just looking for something more robust, you would have a lot more "upgrade" options, but you may not get much perceived improvement in cup quality.

Since you are already single dosing, and sounds like you want to continue , I would take a look at the niche zero. Should at the very least match the quality of the sette, but probably surpass it. Build quality would be an improvement too.

If you are ok with manual grinding, look at the kinu m68, helor 106 or stance as a significant upgrade with larger burrs. Even a kinu 47 would be an improvement in build quality, and perhaps cup quality.

Perhaps the specialita is a good single doser, but you would be better off buying a purpose built one like the niche or the manuals if that's what you prefer.

Or just say screw it all and buy a monolith - that would be the ultimate update.

mrjag

#3: Post by mrjag »

kaffetranerd wrote:...For my next grinder, I certainly hope that I can get the same kind of fluffiness like how the Sette 270 is able to achieve, and most importantly, I hope that it is a significant upgrade from Sette 270 in terms of particles distribution, performance, etc.
I currently have a Sette and Monolith grinder. There is an upgrade going from one to the other, but I wouldn't consider it "significant". Diminishing gains starts to weigh in as you get closer to the top end. The main thing I get out of the Monolith is the extreme consistency week over week; the only time I adjust the grind setting is if I am playing with the flavor profile or dialing in a new bean.

guydebord

#4: Post by guydebord »

I used to own a Sette wi and now use the Specialita. It is an upgrade. Starting from built quality, noise, usability, looks and grind. Check out the Specialita threads on the grinders section, there are a lot details there.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

kaffetranerd (original poster)

#5: Post by kaffetranerd (original poster) replying to guydebord »

Thank you so much for that. How would one compare the E37J to the Specialita? Is it even a fair comparison between the two of them?

SiempreTuParceroMike

#6: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike »

Second on the Specialità. It was actually of the cheaper grinders on my list (I almost got a Fausto) but I'm not at all regretting it. That said, by budget was certainly modest compared to many. I'd have spend closer to 2K if I could have (and done even more research)!

Best of luck,
Mike