Need advice on deal/steal for good espresso machine - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
grind727

#11: Post by grind727 »

What's your budget?
LMWDP #717

doc1623 (original poster)

#12: Post by doc1623 (original poster) »

Well, that's hard to say. I mean, I haven't budgeted specifically for a machine but I'd say I'm looking for great value. Probably, between 2-6 hundred the later might have to wait awhile. I'm not in a hurry, but I just don't have the kind of income for spending 1K+ on a machine.

--randomorbit np :) thanks for trying to help!

grind727

#13: Post by grind727 »

Do you need to be able to make milk drinks with it?/Does it have to have a steamer?

I know you said that you don't want to deal with a lever, but in your price range, you can probably make the best espresso and get the most bang for your buck with used levers like your LaPavoni. Although, unless you're mechanically inclined you may end up shelling out more to refurbish yours than just buying one in better shape. Based on the pictures, it looks like it could use a lot of love; although, I've seen people on these forums work magic with refurbs.

For other levers, a lot of people rave about the vintage Caravels, although you can't steam milk with them, and the La Peppinas. I saw a La Peppina go for a little over a $100 on eBay. It appeared to be in great shape. Caravels have been sole here on HB for around $300. In the same vein, there's a lot of positive reports about the Flair and Cafelat Robot manual espresso makers, again no steam, but good espresso.

The obvious choices for used pump machines in your range are the Gaggia Classic and Rancillo Silvia. I've seen a lot of Gaggias in good condition on eBay that just need a new gasket or something minor. Whole Latte Love sometimes has refurbished Classics for the $300s. These may not be steals that you're hoping for (I imagine finding a LaMarzocco Linea at Goodwill :) ), but they can make some good espresso, and being easy to work on, you can keep them a long time.

I've occasionally seen some older HX machines on eBay in the top end of your range, including some Isomacs and Expobars.
LMWDP #717

bigandlighty

#14: Post by bigandlighty »

I have had some luck finding Rancilio Audreys (Silvia's older sister, there are other models such as the Rialto and Nancy, but the Audrey seems the most common and I never figured out the differences between the sisters). They are essentially a Silvia in a different package. I personally like their quirky look. They tend to have a lot of paint damage, which can somewhat easily be remedied.

I bought one for a little over $200 and I think I overpaid a bit. I recently bought a second one (from what I understand the boiler is unobtainium at this point) for $25, which was a very good price. I found both off of Craigslist.

I am very happy with the Audrey. Before the Audrey I used a Mypressi (another cool little machine usually priced around $100) and a Flair.
So, I do not have any experience with high end machines for comparison.

#15: Post by doc1623 (original poster) »

---bigandlighty and --grind727

Thank You!

I will be looking for those! Exactly the kind of suggestions I need!

on the milk/steamer it's not something I'm doing currently but I'm new to espresso, I'm not ruling it out just yet! ;)

I saw a very old home quickmill. I didn't get it as I know the name is excellent but I wasn't sure. Had a single nob on the side (not in English).

#16: Post by doc1623 (original poster) »

Hello,

I wanted to update you all and thank everyone.

I'm done.

I spent more than I intended... but I'm done at least with the machine's for hopefully a long time.

I'll need to sell the La Pavioni for parts but I think I can get most of my money back. I may try Craigslist first. The handle does not move but I got it so cheap, even for parts, I may get my money back.

I bought a La Valentina (link below). Overall, I think I did well. The stainless steel reservoir cover is missing. The seller said he is checking with Fed Ex as he said he had them pack it, but I'm not hopeful.

It does seem to work fine but I have a lot to learn as I didn't plan on getting this level of machine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VALENTINA-ESPR ... 4002064910

I want to try doing some of what seems to be referred to as cafe crema like here How to make cafe cremas.

It seems I should look for a La Marzocco portafilter per this review https://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/comm ... lentina/HB as it'll take a triple basket. The portafilter that came with it only has a single spout and a single basket. I would like a double or bottomless spout/basket. I'll have to order the plate for the backflush. So far it's only these things that I think I'll need. (the reservoir lid, the backplate, and a portafilter with baskets)

Does anyone know if this cheap one would take that https://www.amazon.com/JOEFREX-zbsLM-Bo ... 00KRQYOBS/

Anyway,

Thanks again and I'm sure not done. I think I'll really have to research now. Currently, I'm a bit over my head. I'm hoping to change that with some reading.