My, Oh My-Which Roaster should I buy? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
LatteLlama (original poster)

#21: Post by LatteLlama (original poster) »

Update @everyone I've made my decision!

After I've already put in an order for the Ikawa home (@drgary and @ira you made a really good case for it!) I canceled it and went for the Kaffelogic Nano 7.

I have been wanting to get into home roasting for a while now and a have been reading a lot of reviews, comparisons and forum threats old and new. I downloaded the Ikawa app, played around with the https://www.beandecoder.com/ and looked into the pro app. I've also downloaded and played around with the Kaffelogic Studio and Link Studio and went into their dedicated forums and discord.

Ultimately I'm a Nerd and really like to get into data, curves and spreadsheets. After watching multiple tutorials on the Kaffelogic Software I realized it fits my preferences better then the Ikawa. Even though I'm pretty sure in the end all of the variables I can play around with in the "Engineering" mode wouldn't make a major difference in cup quality :wink: But based on the saying "the Journey is the goal" and after watching the first few workshop recordings by Kaffelogic on all the software parameters I was sold. Also the support and discussions I've had with the German reseller of the Kaffelogic where arguments in its favor. Even though the Ikawa support was also great and really responsive.

If anyone is interested I'm happy to share my first impressions once it arrives and tell you about my first roasts :)

Thank you all for helping me making a decision! Time will tell if I will regret it :P Knock on wood

doug
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by doug »

:D Can you do us all a favor, and buy both... and then continuously do back to back roasts on the Kaffelogic Nano 7 and Ikawa Home to compare which ones give you the most flavor throughout 2024?

I've had the Ikawa a while, have been using Rhodes and RoastMaster greens, and do maybe ten roasts in a row every couple weeks. Roasting light-medium I get plenty of sweetness and peach flavor from Ethiopians, blueberry and baking spices out of Peruvian and Colombian beans, and sweet chocolate from Costa Rican... but haven't roasted anything yet where I come away thinking "That's twice as tasty as I've ever gotten from a brand name moicroroaster." So I have been suffering from a FOMO curiousity if the Nano 7e might make even better tasting stuff.

Thanks! :D

#23: Post by LatteLlama (original poster) »

That would be great wouldn't it xD But I sadly have neither the funds nor the time :P
To be honest I think "twice as tasty as I've ever gotten from a brand name moicroroaster" is quit a big expectation! If I manage "as good" I would be over the moon :D
From my research you do have a significantly greater control level with the Nano 7 but I don't think all those variables will have a overwhelming impact rather I hope they will be toggels to experiment with and observe the impact. I think at those levels we are not talking about better or worse but rather slightly different and process control. I think if you have an Ikawa Fomo is not necessary. Rather pitty for me who has to flip over the entire machine to get the beans out :P

Also afterward there are a million variables in preparation of the coffee. Grind Size, Burr geometry, Grind Speed, Brew Temp etc. So my goal is to learn with different beans how to do it. Find my favorite bean and profile as a daily driver and then be able to experiment for fun!

VirTERM

#24: Post by VirTERM »

doug wrote::D Can you do us all a favor, and buy both... and then continuously do back to back roasts on the Kaffelogic Nano 7 and Ikawa Home to compare which ones give you the most flavor throughout 2024?

I've had the Ikawa a while, have been using Rhodes and RoastMaster greens, and do maybe ten roasts in a row every couple weeks. Roasting light-medium I get plenty of sweetness and peach flavor from Ethiopians, blueberry and baking spices out of Peruvian and Colombian beans, and sweet chocolate from Costa Rican... but haven't roasted anything yet where I come away thinking "That's twice as tasty as I've ever gotten from a brand name moicroroaster." So I have been suffering from a FOMO curiousity if the Nano 7e might make even better tasting stuff.

Thanks! :D
Congrats on making this uneasy decision. To be honest, as I stated before I struggled but at the end same factors influenced my choice. My Nano 7 is in transit and will arrive on Dec 5th, I guess we will be exchanging some newbie's stories very soon.

Jonk

#25: Post by Jonk »

LatteLlama wrote:To be honest I think "twice as tasty as I've ever gotten from a brand name microroaster" is quite a big expectation!
Exactly. This won't happen, not if the micro-roaster is any good. You might be able to roast something pretty much as good or even a bit better (as in more to your own tastes) for a given bean, but speaking from experience there will be a lot of mediocre batches leading up to that point. That's what we have milk drinks for, eh? :lol: (and family/friends for whom freshly roasted is always a step up from supermarket coffee)

drgary
Team HB

#26: Post by drgary »

LatteLlama wrote: Ultimately I'm a Nerd and really like to get into data, curves and spreadsheets. After watching multiple tutorials on the Kaffelogic Software I realized it fits my preferences better then the Ikawa. Even though I'm pretty sure in the end all of the variables I can play around with in the "Engineering" mode wouldn't make a major difference in cup quality :wink: But based on the saying "the Journey is the goal" and after watching the first few workshop recordings by Kaffelogic on all the software parameters I was sold.
This looks like the right choice for you and was what I was advocating. Congratulations!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ira
Team HB

#27: Post by ira »

I would guess you can get a basically identical roast from either machine, but if you want to experiment, the Kaffelogic will be much more fun. Now that the Ikawa has been modeled so well, you can probably do as well, but Ikawa wants you to pay to use the editor and it's just part of the other one. And honestly, even the Pro editor is not very good. Good enough, but trying to move points on a screen with your finger is for me, impossible, I make all my changes in the table version but you can't see the graph and the table at the same time.

#28: Post by LatteLlama (original poster) »

Roaster is supposed to arrive on Friday so my weekend is planned :D

Question: Does any of you have a recommendation on how to store multiple freshly roasted batches?
Is a vacuum box really necessary? How long do you let your espresso roasts rest and how long is it enjoyable after the roast?

Jonk

#29: Post by Jonk »

LatteLlama wrote:Is a vacuum box really necessary?
No. If you plan to drink it within 2-4 weeks any airtight jar will do. If you want to keep samples for longer it's usually a good idea to freeze. I prefer individual doses like this:
I don't believe in the need for valves and would recommend against for example Weber's bean cellars. As for how long to wait I think it depends a lot on the roast profile, but for me a few days is usually enough. Just plan for a slow pre-infusion when it's very fresh.

#30: Post by LatteLlama (original poster) »

I did not know about the Freezing, super interesting thank you!
I think if I'm roasting at home long term storage frozen is a bit overkill. Its more about after a roast up to 2 months. Is a simple air tight container enough? Does it have to be really air tight or should you go the vacuum route?

I never did a dedicated storage dependent taste test. I'm currently using a bit older beans I got as a gift and they are pretty flat.