My Breville Dual Boiler - need replacement - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
raylo32 (original poster)

#11: Post by raylo32 (original poster) »

Here is a short video of the solenoid valve fix. It's absolutely crazy that something so minor usually requires shipping the thing to Breville for "repair" or replacement.

BaristaBob

#12: Post by BaristaBob »

raylo32 wrote:Here is a short video of the solenoid valve fix. It's absolutely crazy that something so minor usually requires shipping the thing to Breville for "repair" or replacement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9VVYpkG0jM
Hi Ray,

It's crazy but great that you have your "old" BDB 900XL operational again. Not sure how many 900XL's still exist, but I imagine quite a few. This first gen machine was followed up in short order with the 920XL which is indeed a better machine in many ways. Breville was so sure it would be better that they gave it double the manufacture warranty...2 years! And that warranty is still better than most espresso machine companies. I will reiterate what some have already said, try your best to use "good" water...low hardness, filtered. I use low hardness, double filtered water and have never needed to run the descale program in three years. I test the water debit after my monthly backflush routine with Cafiza and it's always the same.

Best to you, and if you ever upgrade, certainly the BDB 920XL should be on your short list. If you read some of the threads here on HB, you'll find people like Peter and Ryan, and others that have "modded" their 920XL's to perform preinfusion (pre-brew) pressure/flow profiling to rival the best machines out there today. You seem like the kind of guy who is not afraid to tinker inside his machine, so the future is bright for you to mod your 900XL as well.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

raylo32 (original poster)

#13: Post by raylo32 (original poster) »

In a way mine is in such good shape simply because it was unusable for quite a while on a couple occasions and just sat there until I repaired it.

I missed the 920 by 6 months or so. We had been to France on a bicycling trip and our hotel had a huge Saeco superauto that made great drinks at the touch of a button. It was pretty amazing. Plus every place we stopped made great espresso and lattes. So I just had to have one as soon as I got home. I wish I had known the 920 would come along so soon.

My water is filtered via undersink carbon cartridge filter. I have no idea as to hardness, but I don't think it's too bad here. Will get a test kit sometime to check. I just reinstalled the Breville filter in the water tank so I guess mine is now double filtered FWIW.

BaristaBob wrote:Hi Ray,

It's crazy but great that you have your "old" BDB 900XL operational again. Not sure how many 900XL's still exist, but I imagine quite a few. This first gen machine was followed up in short order with the 920XL which is indeed a better machine in many ways. Breville was so sure it would be better that they gave it double the manufacture warranty...2 years! And that warranty is still better than most espresso machine companies. I will reiterate what some have already said, try your best to use "good" water...low hardness, filtered. I use low hardness, double filtered water and have never needed to ran the descale program in three years. I test the water debit after my monthly backflush routine with Cafiza and it's always the same.

Best to you, and if you ever upgrade, certainly the BDB 920XL should be on your short list. If you read some of the threads here on HB, you'll find people like Peter and Ryan, and others that have "modded" their 920XL's to perform preinfusion (pre-brew) pressure/flow profiling to rival the best machines out there today. You seem like the kind of guy who is not afraid to tinker inside his machine, so the future is bright for you to mod your 900XL as well.

lancealot

#14: Post by lancealot »

raylo32 wrote:Use the cleaning tabs as prompted by machine.
The machine is prompting you to backflush. The tabs are similar to Cafiza. Cafiza is a strong detergent.
After reading throuh this and watching the videos, it occured to me that this same thing you did can probably be accomplished more easily by a weekly backflushing with cafiza.
The machine does not prompt us to backflush often enough. I do mine weekly.