My Aging, Ailing Acaia Lunar Scale (Sigh) - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Quester

#21: Post by Quester »

iploya wrote:This 3rd time, the load cell is messed up and won't zero.
Sometimes you have to center the base in the shell. This takes less than a minute to do.

Ken5
Supporter ★

#22: Post by Ken5 »

pcdawson wrote:I've had a Lunar for around 4 years now and I've noticed that it has started to drift a little. I'll put my catch cup with grounds on the scale and watch as it goes from 14.5g to 14.4...14.3....14.2 over a period of 2 to 3 min. I've done firmware upgrades and recalibrations but nothing seems to stop it. Any ideas what's causing this?
Change in temperature can cause that kind of drift.

I use my Lunar with my Robot, so I have to always use my stove to boil water. I have found that if I use the scale near the stove, and it does not have to be very close to it, my scale will drift as you are observing. Also if I run my dishwasher with the scale on the counter just above it the same thing will happen.

Has anything recently changed in your routine that might cause a change in temperature? Perhaps something as simple moving where you store the scale, such as in a cabinet or drawer, where the temperature might be colder than where you actually use the scale?

Ken

pcdawson

#23: Post by pcdawson »

Thanks Ken - that's really excellent information! I'll try leaving the scale out on the counter and keep it away from any potential heat sources.

Pete

Ken5
Supporter ★

#24: Post by Ken5 »

It's a long shot unless you have made changes from prior years, but hopefully that is all it is.

Another long shot, but perhaps something in settings got changed? You can restore the defaults in settings.

https://cdn.acaia.co/web/2022_doc/manua ... 501_EN.pdf

iploya (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Just to clarify, I had already gone through all the troubleshooting steps mentioned above before creating this thread. It was Acaia who determined the load cell was messed up and they already had it in their possession and repaired it and sent me an invoice. My issue was whether it was worth the cash to even get it back. Which I narrowly determined it was.

Auctor
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by Auctor »

iploya wrote: It was Acaia who determined the load cell was messed up and they already had it in their possession and repaired it and sent me an invoice. My issue was whether it was worth the cash to even get it back. Which I narrowly determined it was.
I had a similar, terrible experience with Acaia. I dropped my Lunar from a height of 2-3 feet onto a wood floor. Small dent in the aluminum frame. Despite Acaia claiming that this is a commercial quality scale, they charged me $90 to fix, after an original quote of $45. Complete mystery on how they price things, or why a $225 scale can't handle a tiny drop. Wish there was a solid alternative.

Ken5
Supporter ★

#27: Post by Ken5 »

Did they find something else that needed to be replaced after the estimate? Seems that they should have known how much to charge for changing the case.

Hope to never drop my scale with the aluminum case, though would hate to drop any scale. :(

Auctor
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by Auctor »

In addition to a new shell, the scale required a new circuit board, which they think was broken as a result of the drop. My annoyance stemmed from the fact that their marketing claims that this wildly expensive scale is designed for a "commercial environment", yet fell apart after a single, short drop.

iploya (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by iploya (original poster) »

On this point, what's frustrating is Acaia seems to do the repair first, then tell you what it will cost. So, having already sent in my scale, when they sent me the repair quote it seems like I had to pay that amount if I wanted to get the scale back. If I had been unwilling to pay the ransom, would they have just kept the scale? I did not test them on this, just paid the fee to get it back.

*sigh*

#30: Post by *sigh* »

It's interesting to see these experiences with their repair and support, my experiences have been the complete opposite. My scale has also experience a knock odd a counter (onto a tile floor mind you) and it's continued to function as normal. I have had some issues with the moisture sensor giving false errors (which led to an in warranty repair), and then most recently had the battery start bloating well out of warranty. I sent it in for their $20 battery tune up program and there were some issues with the circuit board which they replaced for free for me. It's a little disappointing to see the vast difference in experiences from the same company.

The pay after the repair is done is definitely odd, fine if it's for the original amount but really not a great approach if that original estimate might change.