Move from pour over to espresso - what should I buy - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
davidmccleary (original poster)

#11: Post by davidmccleary (original poster) »

Budget is approx 600 dollars and heat up time is a priori yes. Will check out the grinders thanks!

Just noticing that the flair is easier to get in the UK, so might end up going for it over the Robot.

txxt

#12: Post by txxt »

Hi David. Registered so I could help answer your question a little bit. I can vouch for the Flair Pro model, it was recently released and has a lot of features that made it pretty convenient for getting into espresso. It made my entry from the brewing world to espresso much much easier, and also taught me some valuable lessons about my beans as well.

One thing I would suggest if you go w the Flair is that the Weiss distribution technique is essential to getting a good puck and less channeling. Youll feel any issues w your leveling/tamp and see them pretty quickly imo.

#13: Post by davidmccleary (original poster) »

Hi txxt,

Thanks for the response! I noticed the flair pro last night and I am very intrigued. One thing that is putting me off the flair is pre-heating, apparently it is a bit fiddly and you have to use tongs. I read that this is not the case with the pro? Is this true? Can you mention how you pre-heat that would be great!

Thanks,
David

txxt

#14: Post by txxt »

David, I do not use tongs to preheat. The canister sits on the table to preheat then goes right to the mount by hand after attaching to the portafilter. Generally the silicon guard on the chamber is enough to guard you from burning yourself. The canister can take 212F water and stay manageable. The preheat goes pretty quick the only hiccup Ive had is providing myself enough water to preheat and then brew with after a trial attempt at new beans. My water boiler from Zojirushi made it easier for sure. Hope this helps.

#15: Post by davidmccleary (original poster) »

Thanks, that's very helpful!

I think the flair pro is starting to edge it for me.

Thanks to everyone for the advice

slickmamba

#16: Post by slickmamba »

Does the flair make a better cup over the gaggia classic? I'm also in this same boat.

#17: Post by davidmccleary (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your advice!

I order a flair pro and it arrived today. Made my first shot and it tasted surprisingly good and it was extremely quick. I am still using an Baratza encore grinder which I am planning to replace with a MTK Field2 grinder.

Thanks all

matiasfh

#18: Post by matiasfh »

Hey there!! I'm in the same path of tought decision.
I have no prior experience with espresso making.
I really like the flair pro, but also was thinking about a semi automatic like the gaggia classic pro.

And now I have the Robot in the list (also a habdheld device : the leverpresso).

Pros about the semi auto...milk beverages, less "work". To get one shot.
Cons about the semi auto...more things to take care and maintainance.

forbeskm

#19: Post by forbeskm »

@matiasfh
Best to check the intro videos on espresso machines here first. They explain the differences very well. We all have our opinions :).

Grinder is the most important, then preference for machine, number of shots to pull in one sitting, etc

I recommend levers for the cost and simplicity. You have to figure the grind out for semi auto or lever, that to me is 80% of the work (others may differ).

Semi autos add noise :)