Monolith Shuriken Burr Choice - LW vs SW

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
NHB

#1: Post by NHB »

Hi All,

I imagine this was discussed before, but I was not able to find much info anywhere. I can find user experience about LW burr and SW burr individually, but nothing about how they compare and how I go about choosing one vs the other. I was able to secure a Monolith Flat pre-order today. Now I need to decide on the burr. Below are the descriptions on the Kafatek site:

Shuriken - LM optimized for Light/Medium roasts
Shuriken - SW - for 1:2-1:3+ ratios and light roasts

However, this doesn't seem to say much. Is LM better for 1:1 or 1:1.5 pulls and medium roasts? Can someone with more experience give me some insights?

Many thanks,
Chris

danny31292

#2: Post by danny31292 »

I've also been looking and have not found any direction comparison of the LM vs SW.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PIXIllate »

Denis only started shipping these burrs last year. Production on these is VERY small so the number of people on the planet that have used both LM and SSW side by side in the same grinder is probably less than 10.

The best information will be found on the Kafatek forums. Look for post from Mike Ivanitsky.

FWIW I went with the SSW in my Flat from last year. I pull shots under 1.9:1 and often down to 1. 5:1. I have no regrets about my choice but I do have an MC4 coming in April to use side by side. I'm going to see for myself if I want both options. There's really no other way to do it besides first hand experience.

Quester

#4: Post by Quester »

I'm not clear yet on the disadvantages and advantages of the Shuriken burrs in general. My Shuriken light/medium burrs produce more fines than the SSP LU burrs originally installed on my MAX. Having said that, there are some beans where the Shuriken light/medium burrs produce more flavor than other grinders I've used (but not necessarily as separated). Overall I'm glad I switched them out, but I do miss the clarity and flavor separation of the SSP LU burrs. Having compared the MAX SLM to the MC4-Duo and Versalab M4 for many months, I can say with some surety that some of my best and worst shots come from the Shuriken SLM burrs. I really enjoy the grinder, but I wouldn't choose it as my only grinder with the Shuriken burrs. As a complement to other grinders, I enjoy it a lot.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate replying to Quester »

I'm looking forward to spending a few months getting to know the differences between the Flat and MC4. In the end it'll have to be a different experience in the cup for me to justify keeping them both on the counter. Having said that if it proves itself to deliver in the mouthfeel/texture/body department with medium to medium dark roasts I have no problem with having two machines to do the job.

Like most experienced Baristas will say, spend more on the grinder(s) than the machine.

NHB (original poster)

#6: Post by NHB (original poster) replying to PIXIllate »

Yea, I actually want to do what you are planning to do as well. I want to get an MC4 after I spend enough time with the flat. I read somewhere someone did it, but sold the MC4 because there wasn't enough difference for him. However, I want to try it myself at some point. Will be very curious about what you will find out as well.

I currently have a Niche and will probably use that as a cheaper alternative for MC4 for a while. Since I have a Niche and assuming I will most likely get an MC4 to try at some point, would you recommend LW burr or SW burr? What made you choose SW burr?

NHB (original poster)

#7: Post by NHB (original poster) »

Quester wrote:I'm not clear yet on the disadvantages and advantages of the Shuriken burrs in general. My Shuriken light/medium burrs produce more fines than the SSP LU burrs originally installed on my MAX. Having said that, there are some beans where the Shuriken light/medium burrs produce more flavor than other grinders I've used (but not necessarily as separated). Overall I'm glad I switched them out, but I do miss the clarity and flavor separation of the SSP LU burrs. Having compared the MAX SLM to the MC4-Duo and Versalab M4 for many months, I can say with some surety that some of my best and worst shots come from the Shuriken SLM burrs. I really enjoy the grinder, but I wouldn't choose it as my only grinder with the Shuriken burrs. As a complement to other grinders, I enjoy it a lot.
I have a Niche and will likely get an MC4 in the future alongside the flat. If you were me, would you go with LW or SW? I know you might not have tried SW, but still wanted to ask the question in case you have a view.

NHB (original poster)

#8: Post by NHB (original poster) »

danny31292 wrote:I've also been looking and have not found any direction comparison of the LM vs SW.
I also just posted something on the Kafatek forum. I might also just email Denis if I don't get enough inputs from the community. I don't want to bother him too much since I know he's very busy with things unless I can't get the info else where.

NHB (original poster)

#9: Post by NHB (original poster) »

danny31292 wrote:I've also been looking and have not found any direction comparison of the LM vs SW.
There is now a new point called "Help with Burr Selection and Upgrades for Flat MAX" on Kafatek forum talking about the same thing with inputs from Mike Ivanitsky. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, but you should be able to find it easily. I find it helpful. I'm keeping my post here open in case more people can chime in.

Quester

#10: Post by Quester »

NHB wrote:I have a Niche and will likely get an MC4 in the future alongside the flat. If you were me, would you go with LW or SW? I know you might not have tried SW, but still wanted to ask the question in case you have a view.
I've only experienced the SLM. I've not tasted the SSW.