Monolith MC4 vs Versalab M4 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Quester

#11: Post by Quester »

I don't want to derail this thread with a conversation about the cross-posting policy. But I'm happy PM to anyone who asks.

In a nutshell:

Versalab M4: Quick (15s for 20g), loud (75db), super easy prep with no RDT or WDT, consistent because of even coffee distribution, decent mouthfeel with nice flavor separation. A joy to use. It was a good purchase.

KafaTek MC4: Slow (35s), quiet (42dB), no RDT but careful WDT needed, more demanding on puck prep than the Versalab, not as much flavor separation as the Versalab, but the shots are soft, soothing, round, and delicious--but not as edgy as the Versalab. It was a good purchase.

Quester

#12: Post by Quester »

Spike99 wrote:Great review :)

I want to ask about the jamming with the Versalab... In what scenario does this occur ? Is there a particular type of beans or is it preventable ? Also, what have you done to fix ?
I had one of the earlier M4s and at first this was an issue with several beans. I sent it back to John and he tweaked it a bit. It's been great since then. There have been two beans that jammed, but I've used well over a hundred different beans, so it's not been an issue. And it only jammed once on each type of bean--it wasn't an issue for the whole bag.

Spike99 wrote:Cool that you have DE1... I was holding off on the DE1XL until I finalized the grinder. Any PROS/CONS with the Decent espresso machine ?
The pro with the Versalab and the DE1 is having a DE1. I own two. I have a v1.3 that I use for groups of 25-35. The Versalab is my grinder at that location because it's fast and prep is minimal. The v1.1 DE1 is at home with the MAX and MC4.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
Spike99 (original poster)

#13: Post by Spike99 (original poster) »

Quester wrote:I had one of the earlier M4s and at first this was an issue with several beans. I sent it back to John and he tweaked it a bit. It's been great since then. There have been two beans that jammed, but I've used well over a hundred different beans, so it's not been an issue. And it only jammed once on each type of bean--it wasn't an issue for the whole bag.
That's OK if jamming is not frequent... But would be nice if other Versalab M4 users can chime in and see if they too have had issues with jamming and how often does it occur.

fluffy2

#14: Post by fluffy2 »

Edited as posted in wrong context

Marmot

#15: Post by Marmot »

I don't want to make your decision more difficult but I can really commend you the Ditting Lab Sweet especially for darker roasts. I prefer it to any other grinder I ever used. I also purchased a used Versalab M3 but so far I still prefer the Ditting to a large degree.
I also had the Versalab "choke" some times (mostly because the belt is a bit worn out) but it was only on light roasted high altitude beans. I think with oily dark roast beans there should be no problem.

Quester

#16: Post by Quester » replying to Marmot »

I think the Lab Sweet has the same burr my old Peak had--it's a great burr.

To clarify, the M4 does not have the same hybrid burr as the original M3. The M4 has the SSP version.

User avatar
HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

Quester wrote:I don't want to derail this thread with a conversation about the cross-posting policy. But I'm happy PM to anyone who asks.
The cross-posting policy is to discourage copy/paste posts. As described in What to do about newbie noise, too frequently cross-posts aren't about meaningful sharing of useful information, but about getting the OP an answer as quickly as possible with minimum effort on their part.

If you have a review that's relevant to this thread that's posted in a private forum, you're welcome to repost it here in its entirety (assuming, of course, that you're the original author). That's really not a cross-post per se, as the vast majority of HBers don't have access to the Decent Diaspora.
Dan Kehn

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
eltakeiteasy

#18: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Quester wrote:I think the Lab Sweet has the same burr my old Peak had--it's a great burr.

To clarify, the M4 does not have the same hybrid burr as the original M3. The M4 has the SSP version.
This is misleading... It's the same original design burrs that are now made by SSP. They are the same.
LMWDP #672.

User avatar
TigerStripes

#19: Post by TigerStripes »

Spike99 wrote:Great review :)

Cool that you have DE1... I was holding off on the DE1XL until I finalized the grinder. Any PROS/CONS with the Decent espresso machine ?

Thanks in advance.
In my opinion, not much of a reason to buy a decent if your primary interest is making lattes and milk drinks. Plenty of cheaper machines out there that will let you pull a shot and steam at the same time.

You could pick up a breville dual boiler for less than half what a decent costs. Also, just get a niche - you aren't going to get better lattes going with a grinder that costs 3x more than the niche.
LMWDP #715

HH

#20: Post by HH »

TigerStripes wrote:In my opinion, not much of a reason to buy a decent if your primary interest is making lattes and milk drinks.
The Decent is brilliant for espresso, but it's also fantastic at making great-quality microfoam. It's not as fast as something like a Linea Mini, but I can make better microfoam on a Decent than on a Linea. I also really like the option to programme your steaming to stop at a specific milk temperature, as well as the ability to programme the temperature and pressure of your steam. They've also just added real-time steam profiling as an option... I have no idea what you would use this for, but it's nice to have options!