Monolith grinder: Conical vs. flat burrs

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
SilentDoom

Postby SilentDoom » Dec 06, 2017, 7:40 pm

Ok ok. I know this is a loaded question with no right answer, but if I plan to get a gs3, which would you guys says I should get: conical or flat?
I have lido 3 that I use for pour over now. Got the email today about the next pre-order.
I ask because it looks like a few here have a gs3. Not that others can't chime in!!

SilentDoom

Postby SilentDoom » Dec 07, 2017, 3:22 am

Is one better for both, using it for pour-over and espresso?
Some I know have both and might be able to weigh-in

Moxiechef

Postby Moxiechef » Dec 07, 2017, 8:26 am

I've got a GS/3 and a Flat. Beautiful combination. The grinder it replaced was an HG-1. There is a mild difference in the cup, more clarity maybe...

I use the Flat for espresso and pour over every morning. Super easy to switch between. Great work flow.

I now use the HG-1 at the office for pour over and it works great as well. The Flat is somewhat better at pour over than the HG-1 though.

JB

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Dec 07, 2017, 8:57 am

Great question... I have a Breville 920XL so I'm interested in this same question on the quest for the most flavorful espresso! I think the short answer will be flat...seems the Italians have known this for decades, but technology is forever changing.

Mrboots2u

Postby Mrboots2u » Dec 07, 2017, 9:19 am

SilentDoom wrote:Ok ok. I know this is a loaded question with no right answer, but if I plan to get a gs3, which would you guys says I should get: conical or flat?
I have lido 3 that I use for pour over now. Got the email today about the next pre-order.
I ask because it looks like a few here have a gs3. Not that others can't chime in!!

It's kinda irrelevant that your getting a gs3, it wont make difference to the grinder choice.
What style of coffee are you using or roaster.

wai2cool4u

Postby wai2cool4u » Dec 07, 2017, 10:15 am

based on the comments I've read (having no first hand experience), seems like you can't go wrong with either grinder. the differences in cup are subtle between them. there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus that one is better than the other. which is also why all the other major manufacturers make models with both types of burrs.

it seems to all come down to budget. the conical is cheaper by 500 which is a significant margin. but if you have the budget, seems like the consensus is to get both :lol:

*sigh*

Postby *sigh* » Dec 07, 2017, 11:10 am

wai2cool4u wrote:it seems to all come down to budget. the conical is cheaper by 500 which is a significant margin. but if you have the budget, seems like the consensus is to get both :lol:

Budget and whether or not you're a tinkerer. While not a huge difference the flat does provide the ability to adjust grind speed, which is perfect for those of us who like to keep adding variables and make brewing coffee as complicated as possible... :roll:

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Dec 07, 2017, 11:25 am

I don't have one yet but based on my research: Flavor difference is subtle and most would have a hard time telling the difference without them side by side.

Conical Grinders are a little bit faster grinding and distribute better. Some call this 'better workflow.'

The Flat is much more counter top friendly. It's 3 inches shorter.

I think the Flat is much more attractive looking. It's height also allows you to sit it on a knock drawer to make for a more efficient set up if we are underneath 18 inch cabinets.

Since it really comes down to which design you prefer (unless you are a guru taster, at which point you'd get both anyways) -- I'm going with the flat.

michael

Postby michael » Dec 07, 2017, 11:56 am

years ago, everyone wanted a conical (large mazzer); now the flat is popular again

I got a flat because I already had 2 conicals

the monolith could be my best coffee toy 8)

wai2cool4u

Postby wai2cool4u » Dec 07, 2017, 12:48 pm

michael wrote:years ago, everyone wanted a conical (large mazzer); now the flat is popular again

I got a flat because I already had 2 conicals

the monolith could be my best coffee toy 8)

I don't understand why the large mazzer conicals are more expensive than the mazzer flats, whereas the monolith flat is more expensive than the monolith conical. at least with the monolith flat you get TiN coated burrs and variable speed motor.

Sponsored by cerinicoffee.com
www.cerinicoffee.com: official US importer for Olympia Express