Monolith grinder: Conical vs. flat burrs - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bettysnephew

#11: Post by bettysnephew »

In my case when I went to purchase the Monolith Conical I already had a Mazzer Major which is a large flat burr. The other driving factor was that the flat was still a dream in Denis mind at that time! :D
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Balthazar_B

#12: Post by Balthazar_B replying to bettysnephew »

Already having a Big Flat commercial grinder was one of the reasons I decided on the Conical as well. At least so far as satisfying my palate is concerned, choosing between a Monolith Flat and Conical would be splitting hairs in the extreme. So in addition to diversity -- having an optimized single doser as well as a different burr geometry -- cost was the major driver for me.
- John

LMWDP # 577

toincoss

#13: Post by toincoss »

For pourover with African beans, is there more clarity with a flat?

SilentDoom (original poster)

#14: Post by SilentDoom (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for the reply's so far. I'm leaning toward flat but the price of conical is a bit nicer.

I mentioned the gs3 bc I posted this in another thread and it got separated to here. I was trying to connect with the people who had posted that had the same setup, but I want everyone's thoughts. Even if it's about other grinders!

Everyone have a negatives with the monolith in general? It seems to be the perfect single dose grinder, which is why I'm gravitating towards it. I hate the retention on the lower prices ones.

mike guy

#15: Post by mike guy »

If I had to nit pick a negative it's that I had to add some silicon washers to the portafilter stand to stop a buzzing noise I had. This is so minor that the point of posting this isn't to highlight a negative with it, but to highlight the sheer lack of them.

Regarding retention, I use RDT and see essentially none. Instead of removing the magnetic spout, I just kind of tap it while it's ejecting and no grounds are stuck. I rarely even use WDT anymore after the break in. It's the only grinder I've used where I can toss beans in the freezer with a grind number, (along with shot paramters) come back to it weeks later and still pours perfect. Other titan class grinders may do this, I haven't tested them all obviously. So if it's the sheer size of the burrs that give this ability, then other grinders may do this, but I didn't see any at the price point that focused on single dosing low retention and repeatability when adjusting.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by RockyIII »

SilentDoom wrote:Ok ok. I know this is a loaded question with no right answer, but if I plan to get a gs3, which would you guys says I should get: conical or flat?
Without a doubt, you should get a conical or flat. :wink:

Rocky

redbone

#17: Post by redbone »

Flat for espresso.

Conical for P.O. and drip.

My 2¢.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

desmodici

#18: Post by desmodici »

RockyIII wrote:Without a doubt, you should get a conical or flat. :wink:

Rocky
Hahahaa, my thoughts exactly, its like trying to make a decision between two ultra-exotic supercars based on features/performance, at some point you just gotta buy the one that speaks to you more and rest assured that either ones performance will be impressive.

jerbear00

#19: Post by jerbear00 »

I have both and I suggest you get both. :mrgreen:

Haha. I think the flat is prettier. Other than that you are splitting hairs.

I suggest the answer to your question is subjective and without an objective answer. Responses will come down to personal preferences.

shawndo

#20: Post by shawndo »

Anything less than both is uncivilized 8)
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra