Missed Kafatek Monolith Preorder Again - Which Grinder Should I Get Now?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
arpatch

#1: Post by arpatch »

Hello All,

Despite my best efforts I was again unsuccessful in securing a Monolith preorder. It may be an eternity before I get my hands on one of these so I am going to try something else.

May I get some recommendations for other Flat Burr grinders of this tier? I know some people on here are not a fan of Kafatek, so it would be interesting to hear what else is suggested. Currently I am thinking about a Lagom P100, which seems well received so far.

Thanks!

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

EG-1 is the obvious choice.

BaristaBob

#3: Post by BaristaBob »

arpatch wrote:Hello All,

Despite my best efforts I was again unsuccessful in securing a Monolith preorder. It may be an eternity before I get my hands on one of these so I am going to try something else.

May I get some recommendations for other Flat Burr grinders of this tier? I know some people on here are not a fan of Kafatek, so it would be interesting to hear what else is suggested. Currently I am thinking about a Lagom P100, which seems well received so far.

Thanks!
Alex, might I suggest keeping an eye on the Buy/Sell list here on HB. Seems to me that they pop up on the list fairly often. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Ad-85

#4: Post by Ad-85 »

arpatch wrote:Hello All,

Thanks!
I missed 3 or 4 production runs before getting my MAX. I mailed Denis and he put me on the next production run so I waited 9 months before getting it. Denis's craftsmanship is great and the from-factory alignment is amazing. I mailed him about a MC4 but unfortunately it doesn't seem like I'm getting one so I went with the obvious choice the Key from WW. I suggest that you send him mail first if you are interested and if you can't get one then you can find some interesting grinders out there like: EG-1, P100, Titus, Ozik, Molar and Mahlkönig or keep an eye on the buy and sell section like @BaristaBob suggested! Owners sell their old grinders to make room for their new ones.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

jb-0101

#5: Post by jb-0101 »

Ditting 804 / 807 Lab Sweet seems to be getting great reviews at the moment:

arpatch (original poster)

#6: Post by arpatch (original poster) »

BaristaBob wrote:Alex, might I suggest keeping an eye on the Buy/Sell list here on HB. Seems to me that they pop up on the list fairly often. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Bob
Good to know, thank you for the tip!

#7: Post by arpatch (original poster) »

Ad-85 wrote:I missed 3 or 4 production runs before getting my MAX. I mailed Denis and he put me on the next production run so I waited 9 months before getting it. Denis's craftsmanship is great and the from-factory alignment is amazing. I mailed him about a MC4 but unfortunately it doesn't seem like I'm getting one so I went with the obvious choice the Key from WW. I suggest that you send him mail first if you are interested and if you can't get one then you can find some interesting grinders out there like: EG-1, P100, Titus, Ozik, Molar and Mahlkönig or keep an eye on the buy and sell section like @BaristaBob suggested! Owners sell their old grinders to make room for their new ones.
I emailed Denis too after missing the last pre-order but unfortunately I can not be added to the next production run. The Ozik looks interesting but no idea when that will be out. I was also interested in the Levercraft but that is also unavailable now haha.

#8: Post by arpatch (original poster) »

jb-0101 wrote:Ditting 804 / 807 Lab Sweet seems to be gett great reviews at the moment: video
Ive seen this one mentioned a few times but I looked at it and am a little confused. Are people using this as a home single dose grinder with low retention? It looks like those commercial grinders you see in the grocery store

Ad-85

#9: Post by Ad-85 »

I see that you have a decent. I've always thought decent users tend to like conicals more but why don't you ask on the decent forum for advice and see what people are using. Bentwood is interesting too.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

LObin

#10: Post by LObin »

Lagom P100 and Levercraft Ultra are the obvious alternatives to a Monolith Flat or Max.

Two other "flat" burr grinder to consider would be Titus Nautilus and Versalab M4.

Even a Lagom P64 is a solid contender in this category imo. It all comes down to availability and price obviously.

On a personal note, I prefer the user experience, workflow and foot print of a P100 or a Monolith vs a EK43 or Ditting.

Once the latest production of Monolith's start landing, there's always a few Monoflats and Monocons that land on the Buy/Sell here and on the Kafatek Forum.
LMWDP #592
★ Helpful