Mazzer Super Jolly? Worth it or just wait?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Boomer44

#1: Post by Boomer44 »

Hey I've narrowed it down to a specilaita or the niche... but I saw on fb marketplace some one has a super jolly but the timer switch needs to be replaced... and there like $81 on espresso parts... the guy is asking 150 for the SJ. Would it be wise to mess with that? Or just wait. I'm using a Baratza precisio now with my Silvia. But I can only find one local roaster that I can get 36 grams in 30 seconds. All others I'm maxed out on the preciso and shots run too fast. I was thinking of offering him 100 for the SJ and fixing it up. But I know a lot of people don't care much for Mazzer stuff anymore. Advice? Thanks!

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G replying to Boomer44 »

Offer $100 for it and replace the timer switch with a simple on/off switch. Then buy a set of SSP burrs for it and spend an afternoon aligning it.

The SJ gets no love around these parts because there are better grinders out there to purchase new. It's big, and a bit awkward to use in the home but I love mine. I've been single dosing for the last year or so and have never looked back. With the DuraMill food friendly burrs, I was getting astringent flavors when attempting to grind super fine when I started messing with preinfusion but most of those flavors disappeared after I got the SSP burrs and they are all but gone altogether after aligning the lower burr with a dial indicator and using the dry erase marker method on the upper burr. My espresso range is huge and the flavors are there, through and through.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

Depends what is your standout priority, price vs retention. Friend started using older doser SJ because his M3 belt broke, doesn't like it. Without mods the older model holds a lot of grinds. The addition of a funnel, SSP burrs and alignment seems to make it into a viable grinder. On the other hand a new Specialita or NZ will give you low retention and good grind out of the box.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by blondica73 »

I recommend a NZ. I've had multiple grinders, but for single dosing and reasonable price, NZ is king.

Boomer44 (original poster)

#5: Post by Boomer44 (original poster) »

Sounds like I'll just wait. Lol thanks!

AllenBW

#6: Post by AllenBW »

If yah have access to a 3d printer there are a great number of mods that make the sj a fantastic doserless option
(running with this on the decaf grinder presently https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3472206)

I agree with the offer 100$, or wait a while see if it'll be accepted outta desperation, for the price, its one heckofah workhorse... Mine was an older version that had the timer, sweep sensor, inspired by some of the words here: Replacing Mazzer Super Jolly timer with on/off switch takin' it apart and rewiring to be a simple on off isn't too tricky! :D

M.White

#7: Post by M.White »

I just finished restoring one and it's really worth it. Even at 150$ I'd go for it.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

For retention, use the bulb from a cake decorator, which roadman nicknamed a "bopper."

Mod Idea: Reducing retention on Mazzer Super Jolly

SJs are built like tanks.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!