Mazzer Super Jolly or Eureka Zenith 65E for best grind?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bman0023

#1: Post by bman0023 »

Hi All, I have 2 Mazzer SJ's and really like them very much. I see so many new grinders and new tech coming onto the market these days and wonder if I may be falling behind the times so to speak! I came across the Eureka Zenith 65 and it looks pretty cool. Anyone have any experience with these 2 grinders in how they work and the grind quality?

I love my Mazzers but not opposed to upgrading for better quality. I do not weigh my beans or anything like that and no plans to do so. I just do 3 scoops into the hopper, tamp and go. Any thoughts are welcome. tx

As the saying goes about a kid in a candy store, I can only imagine myself in an espresso supply store to see all the models in person!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I would be very surprised if the difference between the two is enough to reliably taste with your shot-to-shot variance.

The SJ is a solid, hopper-fed grinder, as are the upper-range Eurekas. The SJ has the advantage that you could try one of the recent 64 mm burr sets at a modest price and see if you could reliably taste a difference by blind tasting with your other one. The Eureka is new and shiny and might boost your enjoyment of the process, making the espresso more rewarding, even if not distinguishable by flavor alone.

erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

Indeed, just buy a modern 64mm burrset like the new LS V3 and you'll have a completely different grinder that will perform like those new grinders. Those fit perfectly in a SJ.

bman0023 (original poster)

#4: Post by bman0023 (original poster) »

Ok, I will have to look into these. I usually get my gear from Chris' coffee. I see they have the Mazzer burrs, but I've no clue which other ones to look for though.

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by StoicDude »

I have 2 super jolly s as well and have been contemplating switching to something else but I dont think I'd be gaining much in the actual results in cup.

I think its the new grinders there will be for sure improvements in workflow, cleanliness, etc, but for actual taste in the cup, I think the Mazser SJ is doing great.

I ve been going through different burrs and trying those, so that is where my money goes.

I'm sure a Zerno, Acaia Orbit or P64 would do better when it comes to workflow and you can have rpm adjustment, but at $1500 I don't think my final result would improve that much.

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

In terms of workflow there's indeed much to be gained. In terms of cup quality also and that's due to the adjustment collar of Mazzer. It's pretty hard to make minimal adjustments on them which are needed for modern unimodal burrs. You're also near burr chirp with some burrs so alignment does matter.

So yes you can put modern 64mm burrs in the SJ it can be the case that dialing in is really hard with some burrsets so you need to try. If the Mazzer if well aligned and the grind size is right than the cup quality will be nearly the same as on a Zerno or P64.

bman0023 (original poster)

#7: Post by bman0023 (original poster) »

I spoke with the tech folks where I bought my Mazzer from and they said to keep what I have and the stock burrs work very well and that in their tests they cannot tell a difference with the more expensive burrs with taste, but they last longer for commercial cafe's. I think I will just stick with what I got then.

erik82

#8: Post by erik82 »

Then that tech person knows nothing about burrs or has completely wasted taste buds. The difference is night and day like apples and oranges. That's one very bad tech person.

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

In fairness, that tech person was probably spot on for what often matters most for cafes with their coffees and clientele. What enthusiasts are asking of grinders and the in-cup results were "crazy talk" even 15 years ago.

erik82

#10: Post by erik82 »

I know that but it's the wrong response. As most batista now nothing about maintaining gear most tech people now little to nothing about coffee. And as such you get a complete nonsense answer.

Yes between all bimodal mazzer burrs there are not much differences but he's probably never heard of SSP or modern burrs. He only knows how to swap burrs and maintain grinders.

Tasting a standard Mazzer burr, LS burr or MP burr gives completely different taste profiles. But yes if you only use stail dark roasts, don't care about a good extraction and everything else a standard cafe lacks than he's right as everything tastes like crap :wink: .