Mazzer Super Jolly - A good grinder to get started with?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
coffeechris

#1: Post by coffeechris »

Hallo.
I just started to get an impression on espresso machines and grinders, joined the forum today, but I already followed the discussions for the last month.

I would like to start brewing my own espresso with good, reliable equipment, that helps me to a quick and uncomplicated start.
Now I'm searching for a good planar mill.

I plan to make 4-8 shots a day and change 1-2 times the beans per week and I only want to produce straight espresso(no milk mixtures or coarser grounds needed for other use).
So I thought about the ECM Classika PID as a good starting machine.

I would like to avoid sacrificing several Kgs of coffee beans to a mill that has to be used for a longer time to produce proper grounds and that requires endless adjusting steps to find an acceptable grinding level every morning.

I heard a lot of good reviews on the Super Jolly, but recently I read also a lot about trouble to get repeatingly good shots out of the mill's ground(e.g. Titan Grinder project).
Now I am confused.
Since I'm no expert but a newbie to the topic, I don't want to struggle over challanges, that even experienced users can drive crazy.

Please help me!
How hard and time/bean consuming is the SJ to adjust in daily use?
How comparable are the results after one day or one week or cleaning the burrs?
Are there better(easier to handle) mills on the market offering similar grinding qualities?

Does anybody have experiences with comparisons to other mills of that class?
I looked also at the Super Caimano or Macap MXD or Mythos Basic or Eureka(Zenith or Olympus)?

On the Super Caimano I could only find a little, but I heard about the much bigger retention of that mill.

The Macap and Eurekas I also don't know much about.
About the Mythos one I could find pretty much, is there a relevant difference to the basic for a home users(sounds not to me)?
At first glance the mythos seems to be ideal/
But please help me with good advice!

Thanks already for all your understanding and answers
&
congratulations to your great forum, that offers so much useful and inspiring information!!!

Christoph

Lowellw2

#2: Post by Lowellw2 »

I just got an Anfim CODYII 2 days ago to replace my aged Baratza Vario. With such limited time with it I can't yet say much other than my wife and I immediately both noticed a big improvement. We only consume milked drinks FWIW. Slow 960 rpm and 64mm flat burrs are probably why. It was very easy to dial in and so far (with the extremely short usage) is very consistent. I can't yet speak to retainage as I have not received my scale yet. With a seasonal discount I got it for $851 ($925 regular) so similar to Super Jolly and Encore. For a little more you can go up to a SCODYII with 75mm burrs but everything else seems the same. It even showed up on its own little wooden pallet. It has a short squat hopper and fits well under my cabinets. I think I'm going to be very happy with this grinder.

chrisbodnarphoto

#3: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

I'm short an SJ is a wonderful start, especially if you buy used! You could also hunt for a Major used for great prices - I recently picked up my Major for $300 USD, replaced the burrs for $80 USD, and it runs flawlessly. :)

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Except for the mini, the Mazzers are designed for commercial use. In a commercial environment they cannot be wasting pounds of coffee figuring out a grind, let alone the time. While there are more "home friendly" grinders, the Mazzers are awesome. Generally they are big, heavy, and consistent. They also have a very simple grind adjustment mechanism which doesn't wobble, drift, and any given setting can reliably be returned to. I suggest doing a search on this site for Mazzer and check out the articles discussing refurbishing and customizing Mazzers. I bought the Kony that was part of the Titan Grinder Project. That was what? Around 8 years ago I bought it?! I have seen maybe three grinders that I would like to try, but would have to have them in my hands before thinking about replacing the Kony.

The one negative of the Mazzers is that they do retain a few grams of coffee in the throat but there are ways to deal with that.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

trumz

#5: Post by trumz »

I started with a SJ and liked it, although a bit finicky. It will single dose easily and there are lots of different mods you can do to make it more usable. Wait for a used one to pop up and buy new burrs. Having said that, I wouldn't pay full price for one. Lots of other good options NEW options.

Did you look on ebay Germany? Seems to be a few SJ's available...
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40 ... r&_sacat=0

Nick Name

#6: Post by Nick Name »

Nothing wrong with the SJ, but there may be better options available, money/results wise.

Eureka Zenith 65E should be cheaper than a SJ and a Quamar M80E is definitely cheaper while on the same level.

If you want (and can afford) something better look for Eureka Olympus 75E or Ceado E37S, in Europe these are reasonably priced options if you want to pay for quality. BTW, the Olympus can have (maybe even including, depending where you buy it) the same burrs as Mythos for a lot less price. Obviously it is not the same machine (but who knows what the difference is).

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Jshot replying to Nick Name »

I would think the Quamar M80E is more of an equivalent to the Mazzer Mini, right?

Nick Name

#8: Post by Nick Name replying to Jshot »

Prairiedawg

#9: Post by Prairiedawg »

I think The SJ is an excellent starter grinder. Its a big, heavy commercial grinder you will find in most mid level coffee shops. Its built like a tank and very consistent. There are mods to be done that can be found on this site to make it much more home friendly as mentioned before. I owned a rocky- (useless), moved up to a mini- much better, picked up a used Super Jolly for cheap- way better and consistent. I cleaned it up and replaced the burrs- good as new, a 12 year old grinder. Burrs are cheap https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/mazz ... olly-burrs , and I recommend a mini hopper to keep a significant other on board.
Search places like craigslist, used ones can be found under$300 sometimes. The Super Jolly held its own against the big conicals in the Titan Challenge mentioned earlier by Randy, an excellent starter in my opinion if you can find a used one for cheap.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

brianmch

#10: Post by brianmch »

A SJ is a workhorse and can easily be the last grinder ever needed.

There are many more inconsistencies in the spro process than introduced by the SJ.

It does retain a few grams in the chute but a quick brush can resolve this.