Mazzer Super Jolly for home use in 2022 - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
buckersss
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by buckersss »

babola wrote:Yes, I might have confused things a little in my post, focus is on grinding time not speed, will change it. The overall SPEED is faster, grinding TIME is lower.
ooh ok i understand now, thanks for following up!

babola

#42: Post by babola »

That early morning feeling when it's still dark outside and you fire up your machinery for the first daily cup.
★ Helpful

Maak

#43: Post by Maak »

Milligan wrote:I've spent a few weeks with my SJ with SSP burrs. ...So we are talking about 1mm turn can make a big impact... It needs the water mist for sure otherwise there is a lot of static.
Great to see other SJ Mods. I like your custom output tube. Is that 3d printed?. I find the tiniest adjustment with ssp burrs makes a difference.
Has my SJ for over 2 decades and it's in a constant state of modification...pretty much zero retention. 0.0-0.1g..I force a small amount of air through with a pump

Saughassy

#44: Post by Saughassy »

I have an old Mazzer Mestre (1 phase), and im thinking about burr replace for some reasons.

1.Its an OEM burr.
2. May the burr is to agressive for the Mestre's power because it can lock the grinder if i don't start it before fill with beans.

So could you advise me good quality burrs which are not too agressive?

Thanks

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#45: Post by Milligan »

Maak wrote:Great to see other SJ Mods. I like your custom output tube. Is that 3d printed?. I find the tiniest adjustment with ssp burrs makes a difference.
Has my SJ for over 2 decades and it's in a constant state of modification...pretty much zero retention. 0.0-0.1g..I force a small amount of air through with a pump
That is quite the set up! I ended up moving on from my SJ. I didn't 100% enjoy the workflow. Beans would sit in the lip and I would have to grind, brush them out, grind again, and then bellows. The brushing, a small detail really, did become annoying over time. I wanted to be able to dose, grind, and possibly bellows only. I also found the dial in to be a bit finicky. Not sure whether it was the SJ collar adjustment or the SSP HU burrs.

The Niche fixed all of those complaints. I won't go into detail on taste differences. But I like the workflow much more. I don't think about the grinder anymore, which is nice.

Yes, the mods are 3D printed. I designed the tube, dose cup, and dose cup platform. It works very nicely with RDT. The machine stays acceptably clean. I used the public files for the dosser replacement panel.

jonathan_fl

#46: Post by jonathan_fl »

babola wrote:According to Mazzer and my distributor, it's all in the new 233M burr set and grinding chamber re-design. If you replaced it with an old 33M you're likely to get close to the speed of the previous SJ model, would be my guess.
I have a SJ with the old grinding chamber. Do you think I'd see a benefit in the cup if I were to replace my standard Mazzer burrs with the 233M burrs? I've been considering the SSPs but have held off due to the expense.

Jaroslav

#47: Post by Jaroslav replying to jonathan_fl »

Absolutely, I'm super impressed by the 233M burrs. I've them in my latest Mazzer Mini A, and the taste is in my opinion equal to SSP's HU burrs in my Mini B. Not to mention the grind speed - 18g in no more than 7 seconds for most coffees I've tried so far, that's incredible. Best 40€ I've spent on equipment so far.
Jaroslav

jonathan_fl

#48: Post by jonathan_fl replying to Jaroslav »

Sold! I'll put them on my list.

drH (original poster)

#49: Post by drH (original poster) »

Jaroslav wrote:Absolutely, I'm super impressed by the 233M burrs. I've them in my latest Mazzer Mini A, and the taste is in my opinion equal to SSP's HU burrs in my Mini B. Not to mention the grind speed - 18g in no more than 7 seconds for most coffees I've tried so far, that's incredible. Best 40€ I've spent on equipment so far.
I forgot to ask- did you have to align the 233Ms when you installed them?

Jaroslav

#50: Post by Jaroslav replying to drH »

Oh yeah, but I sort of expected that I'd have to because I had to align the stock burrs as well. I'm also glad I had to do it twice - the threads on the collar became really nice and smooth in the process and making small adjustments is now much easier.
Jaroslav