Mazzer Super Jolly for home use in 2022 - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
drH (original poster)

#31: Post by drH (original poster) »

I completely agree. I've been using it for two months and it's excellent top to bottom. The workflow is superb, the construction uncompromising, the coffee taste excellent. It's definitely a keeper.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by buckersss »

Milligan wrote:I've spent a few weeks with my SJ with SSP burrs. I'd say I've done 75+ shots with it on my GS3 so far. I've figured out a good method for being consistent with my settings by using the vertical marks around the collar. Each mark is only about 3mm apart. With the SSP it feels like the adjustment swings very quickly with minor turns on the collar. The difference between one mark and another may be 8s of shot time at a set dose and ratio. So trying to do the final tweak on a shot can be a bit harder than I'd like. So we are talking about 1mm turn can make a big impact.

As for single dosing, it has been pretty good. I usually dose about .2g higher to make sure I get enough. I purge a couple of grams when making a change, so its not too bad. It definitely needs bellows. I usually puff out a good 1g when using the bellows at the end. My work flow looks like: mist beans, pour in top, place bellows on top, grind, sweep burrs with brush, grind, puff, and done. It needs the water mist for sure otherwise there is a lot of static.
I like your chute mod and baster cap.

How do you like the adjustment collar on the Mazzer compared to the worm gear on the Ceado?

babola

#33: Post by babola »

drH wrote:I completely agree. I've been using it for two months and it's excellent top to bottom. The workflow is superb, the construction uncompromising, the coffee taste excellent. It's definitely a keeper.
It not only leaves Mini in the dust but the Super Jolly Electronic too. For me the jump from my SJ E to SJ V Pro was almost as significant as the previous jump from the Mini E to SJ E.

As you said, workflow is fantastic. One feels like a barista in a cafe, really.
The grind is fluffy and well distributed right out of the funnel (for peeps who use those needle distributors - no need anymore, give them to your better half for their make up hair do ;)), dozing is centered right in the middle of the p/f (thanks to the fully micrometer adjustable p/f fork), there's bugger all retention on mine, not worth even reporting, no static even with a predominantly Robusta blend, grinding time is down by a quarter etc. I even tossed away my dosing ring, I don't need it anymore as there's literally no spillage or waste on the counter.

This is a grinder yet to be discovered by the wider prosumer community, most of us just about gave up on "Mazzer-for-home" few years ago as many brands overtook them in R&D and new products specs, like Eureka, Fiorenzato etc...but I can safely say the new SJ V Pro will give them all run for the money.

When I zeroed in on this grinder my distributor let me play with it a little, also next to the Major V. All I can say is that SJ VP looks and behaves like a Mayor's "mini-me". Pretty much all the functions and features have been ported from the likes of Major and Robur down to a more compact package.

True, it's a commercial grinder with a specific focus, but if you're one of those who'd rather have a lower-end commercial product over higher-end domestic one in your home - go test and play with this grinder a little, I promise you'll be pleasantly surprised.

P.S. Received few questions re it's size and comparison to the Mini, in reality it isn't that much bigger than the Mini, I included a photo below for those interested to get the feel. It also helps if you use Mazzer's small 320g hopper, it helps overall size perception, look and feel.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by buckersss »

babola wrote: The grind is fluffy and well distributed right out of the funnel (for peeps who use those needle distributors - no need anymore, give them to your better half for their make up ;)), dozing is centered right in the middle of the p/f (thanks to the fully micrometer adjustable p/f fork), there's bugger all retention on mine, not worth even reporting, no static even with a predominantly Robusta blend, speed is down by a quarter etc. I even tossed away my dosing ring, I don't need it anymore as there's literally no spillage or waste on the counter.
Did you say speed is down by a quarter on the super Jolly V pro when compared to older versions? This makes me question the Mazzer website specs.

Regarding the major V vs major VP (V pro I assume) there is a difference in motors. The major V spins at approx 1400 rpm at 50hz. The major VP spins at 900 rpm at 50hz. Presumably the later has two more motor poles.

I don't see the same offerings on the super jolly side. There is no super jolly V. Just a super Jolly V pro. The super jolly V pro is listed as having a motor that spins at 1400rpm at 50Hz on the Mazzer website. I wonder if the super Jolly V Pro actually has a motor that spins at 900rpm at 50hz, similar to the major VP. It would be in line with their naming convention and your anecdotal observation that speed is down by a quarter. That would mean the website is wrong though.

Thanks for the video link btw.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#35: Post by Milligan »

buckersss wrote:I like your chute mod and baster cap.

How do you like the adjustment collar on the Mazzer compared to the worm gear on the Ceado?
I don't mind the collar at all. Both are fine. I'd say the Ceado is a bit easier to fine tune but not something I'd give too much weight to. The key to the Mazzer SJ having a smooth operating collar is to make sure it is clean and lightly greased with food safe grease when assembling.

babola

#36: Post by babola »

buckersss wrote:Did you say speed is down by a quarter on the super Jolly V pro when compared to older versions? This makes me question the Mazzer website specs.

Regarding the major V vs major VP (V pro I assume) there is a difference in motors. The major V spins at approx 1400 rpm at 50hz. The major VP spins at 900 rpm at 50hz. Presumably the later has two more motor poles.

I don't see the same offerings on the super jolly side. There is no super jolly V. Just a super Jolly V pro. The super jolly V pro is listed as having a motor that spins at 1400rpm at 50Hz on the Mazzer website. I wonder if the super Jolly V Pro actually has a motor that spins at 900rpm at 50hz, similar to the major VP. It would be in line with their naming convention and your anecdotal observation that speed is down by a quarter. That would mean the website is wrong though.

Thanks for the video link btw.
Yes, in my own case grinding times are down 25% but that will depend on beans blend and darkness too, I changed right about tat the time of purchasing the SJ VP preferred blend from medium to med-dark and that might have had a bit of influence too. It's safe to assume at least 20% reduction in grind time though, so the website is correct. Mazzer has always been conservative in their specs/performance in the past, which is a good thing.

I did not mention Major VP at all, that's a completely different beast that comes with a very different slow-speed high-torque motor used in only that particular model. I however drew parallels between Super Jolly V Pro and the Major V, played for over an hour with both and still stand by my comment that the SJ V Pro is the mini-me of the Major V.

As I mentioned, if you have a chance to play with it do so, you might get pleasantly surprised ;)

Cheers.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by buckersss »

babola wrote:Yes, in my own case speed was down 25% but that will depend on blend and darkness, I changed right about tat the time of purchasing the SJ VP preferred blend from med/dark to dark and that might have had a bit of influence too. It's safe to assume at least 20% reduction in grind time though, so the website is correct. Mazzer has always been conservative in their specs/performance in the past, which is a good thing.

I did not mention Major VP at all, that's a completely different beast that comes with a very different slow-speed high-torque motor used in only that particular model. I however drew parallels between Super Jolly V Pro and the Major V, played for over an hour with both and still stand by my comment that the SJ V Pro is the mini-me of the Major V.

As I mentioned, if you have a chance to play with it do so, you might get pleasantly surprised ;)

Cheers.
Appreciate the info. Not to discredit your observations, but I don't understand how a new super jolly can be noticeably slower (20%-25%) if it has a motor that spins at the same rpm and burrs that arguably cut faster than the previous generation ...unless there is a typo on their website. Either way, glad you are happy. The new collar and burr chamber do look impressive. I will try to get hands on with one if possible.

babola

#38: Post by babola replying to buckersss »

According to Mazzer and my distributor, it's all in the new 233M burr set and grinding chamber re-design. If you replaced it with an old 33M you're likely to get close to the speed of the previous SJ model, would be my guess.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by buckersss »

What i see in the mazzer promo material (linked from the super jolly product page) is that the new burrs speed up grinding time, not slow it down.

https://www.mazzer.com/wp-content/uploa ... es_WEB.pdf

babola

#40: Post by babola replying to buckersss »

Yes, I might have confused things a little in my post, focus is on grinding time not speed, will change it. The overall SPEED is faster, grinding TIME is lower.