Mazzer Super Jolly for home use in 2022 - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Milligan

#21: Post by Milligan »

I recently converted a doser SJ to a doserless. I haven't had a lot of time behind the wheel of it yet but am enjoying it so far. What impresses me the most is the build quality. It is a tank with a huge motor. I pulled mine completely apart to clean and regrease. I made the 3D printed chute mod. I use a silicone turkey baster bulb as a cap and bellows. I also changed out the timer switch to a normal toggle switch. Mine has SSP burrs. It can get PLENTY fine and has "infinite" adjustment. I can see wanting indents or clicks so you can write down a setting that works well for a certain coffee. I've been making small marks with a sharpie for general guidance. Mine was quite a bit less than the Niche so its not really a fair comparison cost-wise.

roadman
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by roadman »

Milligan wrote:I've been making small marks with a sharpie for general guidance.
To improve accuracy when dialing in your Super Jolly you can download and print the Grind Setting Ring for Mazzer Grinders from the link below:

http://dimlight.org/mazzer/

The files listed as "mazzer mini" work just fine for a Mazzer Super Jolly.

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Jaroslav »

babola wrote:Nope, old SJ uses 33M burrs, new V/V Pro uses re-engineered 233M.
Based on the spec sheet, both use the same 233M burrs as standard.

https://www.mazzer.com/en/product/super-jolly/
Jaroslav

drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by drH (original poster) » replying to Jaroslav »

Good catch... perhaps the new burr design is standard on all models now. On the website they say "64mm flat burrs have been re-engineered to speed up the dosing time by 20%. 100% made in Italy by Mazzer."
https://www.mazzer.com/en/product/super-jolly-v-pro/

babola

#25: Post by babola »

Jaroslav wrote:Based on the spec sheet, both use the same 233M burrs as standard.

https://www.mazzer.com/en/product/super-jolly/
That might be a very recent change, as I owned for 2yrs standard SJ Electronic bought new in 2019 which came with 33M stock standard. Those have been in SJs for nearly 50 years.

However I wouldn't believe everyting Mazzer posts on their website in terms of tech specs, they were known to make mistakes in the past by copying/pasting specs from one grinder to another.

Caution is recommended.

babola

#26: Post by babola »

drH wrote: Good catch... perhaps the new burr design is standard on all models now. On the website they say "64mm flat burrs have been re-engineered to speed up the dosing time by 20%. 100% made in Italy by Mazzer."
https://www.mazzer.com/en/product/super-jolly-v-pro/
Would be good to check that as a fact, could well be a typo or copy/paste in error between 2 model specs.

However, it would also make sense from production standpoint to use the same burr set model in both from now on. Especially since 33M are getting a little long in the tooth (pun not intended).

drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by drH (original poster) »

Just a quick update on my progress.
I have to say that the big notices in the package that say "not for home use" unnerve me.

Anyway, I really like it. This grinder is too big for my current space, but so was the Ditting 807 that I sent back. I'll keep the Mazzer. After trying a few different coffees, the burrs remind me of a conical burr... thick and rich shots with blended flavors. I'd be curious about what it's like to change the burrs to SSP. But overall, I don't mind that I have to purge a few grams at the start of a session- beyond that it seems consistent, and it grinds 14 grams in about 7 seconds. It's also fairly clean with minimal static and no clumping that I've seen so far.

Milligan

#28: Post by Milligan »

I've spent a few weeks with my SJ with SSP burrs. I'd say I've done 75+ shots with it on my GS3 so far. I've figured out a good method for being consistent with my settings by using the vertical marks around the collar. Each mark is only about 3mm apart. With the SSP it feels like the adjustment swings very quickly with minor turns on the collar. The difference between one mark and another may be 8s of shot time at a set dose and ratio. So trying to do the final tweak on a shot can be a bit harder than I'd like. So we are talking about 1mm turn can make a big impact.

As for single dosing, it has been pretty good. I usually dose about .2g higher to make sure I get enough. I purge a couple of grams when making a change, so its not too bad. It definitely needs bellows. I usually puff out a good 1g when using the bellows at the end. My work flow looks like: mist beans, pour in top, place bellows on top, grind, sweep burrs with brush, grind, puff, and done. It needs the water mist for sure otherwise there is a lot of static.

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by Jaroslav »

babola wrote:That might be a very recent change, as I owned for 2yrs standard SJ Electronic bought new in 2019 which came with 33M stock standard. Those have been in SJs for nearly 50 years.
I'd say so. I'm aware that 33M were stock on the old Super Jolly, but based on the updated spec sheet I'd say they (hopefully) updated the old grinder with the new 233M burrs.
Jaroslav