Mazzer Super Jolly for home use in 2022 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by drH (original poster) »

From my research it sounds like the Super Jolly may offer a better experience (speed, cleanliness, maybe taste) over the Mini. But the new SJ V Pro has re-engineered burrs and may be even better than the old model.

However, I'd still be concerned about retention and utility for single dosing. And whether it will be suitable for lighter roasts without burr swaps.

The Lagom sounds like a more practical choice although I admit to loving the design and history of Mazzer.

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Jaroslav »

drH wrote:But the new SJ V Pro has re-engineered burrs and may be even better than the old model.
As far as I know the old Super Jolly and new Super Jolly V Pro now both come with the same 233M burrs as standard.
Jaroslav

drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by drH (original poster) »

Jaroslav wrote:As far as I know the old Super Jolly and new Super Jolly V Pro both come with the same 233M burrs as standard.
I didn't realize that. Good to know that grind quality will be similar. How do you find the taste from the Mini compared to your Mazzer Omega?

Pressino

#14: Post by Pressino »

timbagahan wrote:From what I remember, the Mini actually uses 58mm burrs, but it can be modded with 64mm burr carriers.
The regular (doser equipped) Mini uses those 58mm burrs, and the Mini-E version uses 64mm burrs, and "upgrading" the 58mm Mini's to 64mm burr sets can be done three ways, all have been discussed in previous HB threads. The easiest but most expensive way is to purchase new or buy used burr holders either for the Mini-E or SJ models and swap them out for the old ones. This allows you to use either Mini-E or SJ 64mm burrs. The cheapest way to get 64mm burrs to fit the Mini involves some DIY work drilling and threading new bolt holes into the 58mm Mini burr holders, but that it is very tricky to drill and tap the holes so that the 64mm burrs will be perfectly aligned.

As regards the Mini's lower powered motor (compared to the SJ), some folks have reported stalling with lighter roasts when using SJ (33M) burrs. I did not experience that, but eventually decided to use the Mini-E burrs not so much to avoid over-stressing the Mini motor but because I already had an SJ and thought it would be nice to have two different burr sets to work with...and it has been my experience that the 33M and 189D burrs do produce grinds that taste different in the cup.

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Jaroslav »

drH wrote:I didn't realize that. Good to know that grind quality will be similar. How do you find the taste from the Mini compared to your Mazzer Omega?
I think the grind quality will be the same, but the V Pro is definitely not as clumpy as the old Super Jolly.

I preferred Omega's soft burrs over the 189D burrs that were standard in my Mini B, but since I've upgraded the Mini B with SSP HU burrs I prefer what I get from the Mini B. :wink:
Jaroslav

dilin

#16: Post by dilin »

I'll be interested in a head to head between the 33M and the 233.

TigerStripes

#17: Post by TigerStripes »

Having owned a super jolly (with basically every burr set) and a niche zero - I'd go for the niche. It's a fantastic grinder and is a joy to use.

When grinding with the SSP burrs, the super jolly shrieks like a banshee being released from the gates of hell for the ~10 second grind time. It also requires a "bopper" of some kind if you want it to be close to zero retention.
LMWDP #715

babola

#18: Post by babola »

Jaroslav wrote:As far as I know the old Super Jolly and new Super Jolly V Pro both come with the same 233M burrs as standard.
Nope, old SJ uses 33M burrs, new V/V Pro uses re-engineered 233M.
dilin wrote:I'll be interested in a head to head between the 33M and the 233.
The 33 and 233 are different primarily in grinding speed terms as well as taste notes. The new 233M are now on par with SSP set in those terms, IMHO.
I recently upgraded from old SJ doserless to new SJ V and I'm super stoked...improvement achieved in every aspect - grinding speed, retention, clumping, dampened sound SJ V is much quieter), the fact you don't need a funnel anymore as the grind now falls straight down in the middle of your porfafiler basket with minimal or no mess at all. Serviceability is also improved and simplified now, there are many videos that show this so I don't need to write about it here.

It took Mazzer 5 years of development on the new V, too.
Hope this helps.

buckersss

#19: Post by buckersss »

dilin wrote:Other people will probably chime in with more accurate answers. But, in a nutshell, the Mini has a smaller motor (less torque), and the burr set is optimized for the smaller motor. It could result in stalling on lighter roasts.
Id opt for an anfim over a super jolly. Bigger motor and less rpm.
Craftsmanship is amazing. The design leaves a bit to be desired as you will have some retention for sure. It is a sweet grinder though. You can take the hopper off and put a Diatomaceous Earth Powder Duster ontop. Daniel wong does make a mod for the anfim, but it is out of stock. It says it's not for the current version but looks like it would work.

I'm not saying the anfim is the one you should get. But if it were between that and the super jolly it's a no brainer for me. That even if they were the same price, which they aren't as far as I can tell. You can get the 64mm anfim and splurge for some SSP burrs. Or get the 75mm. If you opt for the latter I don't think you can get unimodal on the 74/75mm scody.

Otherwise I'd you are in the USA, you should just pick up the Mazzer Royal automatic version from wholellattelove. That things is an absolute beast. 900w, 900rpm and 83mm. I tried to get them to list on their Canadian site but they wouldn't. the torque would be heavenly. The only thing better out there I think is the anfim sp2 or the Mazzer zm

drH (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by drH (original poster) »

babola wrote:Nope, old SJ uses 33M burrs, new V/V Pro uses re-engineered 233M.

The 33 and 233 are different primarily in grinding speed terms as well as taste notes. The new 233M are now on par with SSP set in those terms, IMHO.
This review also suggests that the taste is improved.
I've got one on the way and I'll report back. A short hopper can get it to about 15in tall.