Mazzer Major vs. Baratza Vario

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

I currently have a Mazzer Major and I need something smaller that's more counter friendly. I would love to get a K30, but I'm not at a place where I can spend $1600 on it. So, I began looking at the Vario.. First off, I'm totally aware of the huge build quality difference, but that is not one of my concerns.. I'm strictly concerned about in the cup performance.. I hear it's indistinguishable from the SJ, but can anyone chime in on how it compares, once again, in the cup, to the Major. When I bought my Major I mostly noticed the decrease in clumps and a more fluffy grind when compared to the SJ. I don't really remember how big/small the taste difference was to be perfectly honest with you.

I plan to buy refurbished from Baratza, I've seen that recommended a few times.

Also, feel free to offer other grinder suggestions, but that's not the primary focus of this thread.

wsfarrell

#2: Post by wsfarrell »

I've used both with a Salvatore Compact Spring Lever, and don't find a huge difference between them in the cup.

I put steel burrs in the Vario when I got the Major, and it's currently grinding the best pourovers I've ever had. Quite a machine.

Advertisement
LukeFlynn (original poster)

#3: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to wsfarrell »

Thanks! I know the most difference is probably going to be speed, size, and build quality.

spearfish25

#4: Post by spearfish25 »

Build quality of the Vario is kind of a non-issue. It's super easy to replace parts and parts are very cheap. In two years of daily espresso grinding, I only had to change a drive gear on a single occasion. It was out of warranty and Kyle sent me the parts free of charge.

HoldTheOnions

#5: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I've wondered if vario burrs would fit in an I1. You can get I1 from IDC for around $250 usd and burrs for around $50. So sweet burrs in a higher quality case. If all I had to do was drill and tap new holes, I could do it, but if I had to machine the carrier, then I would be in trouble, so haven't tried it. Maybe something else I'm not considering as well.

I would be willing to buy the burrs and send them to someone with an I1 to see if they could see if they would fit in the carrier. PM me if anyone if anyone is interested in the experiment. :-)

brianl

#6: Post by brianl »

PEople love the Vario due to the price.

I'm here to say compared to the more rock solid grinders (like my Ceado), the Vario is absolutely out of its league. I had to adjust it constantly and moving three notches can either make no difference or make a gusher.

When we say build quality, we aren't just talking about fixing it when it breaks.

millcityroasters

#7: Post by millcityroasters »

I own 2 Majors and 1 Vario. Initially I used the Major at work and the Vario at home. I love the Vario, but there was such a big difference in shot quality I bought another Major (E) and relegated the Vario to brewed coffee. I also added a variable time delay off relay to the first (doseless) Major. All my problem are solved save for the nagging feeling that I want a Ditting 805 for drip.