Mazzer Major upgrade to a quieter but at least as capable grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CoolHandLuke

#1: Post by CoolHandLuke »

Any happy Mazzer Major owners upgraded to a quieter grinder if so what did you end up with and did it work for you?

Not sure about budget but no more than £500 and definitely open to used grinders.

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

I put mine on a silicone rubber pad (ikea) and you could close the vents and make it half as loud as the original...(provided you only grind incidentally, as most home users would)
LMWDP #483

LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

Yes the silicone mat is a neat trick. I originally bought 2 off of Amazon for my La Pavoni's and was quite surprised by the quietness of my grinder DF64 when I put one underneath. I only wanted to keep the area more tidy but it did much more than that.

You won't find a grinder with similar specs or even burrs that are close in size to the Major's 83mm flats. I would try Marcelnl modifications first and see if this quiets the grinder enough for you.

If not, then grinders like the Eureka Specialita and Atom line are known to be quiet but they all pack smaller motors and smaller burrs.
You could also go with a 64mm single dosing grinder since there are many burr styles available. A DF64 is within your price range. The silicone mat makes it much quieter for those early morning coffees when the whole household is still sleeping.
LMWDP #592

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

I'm guessing that when you'd dampen the inside a bit and apply some sound proofing material like sorbothane inside the chassis and close then vents it'd be pretty quiet (for an 83mm flat burr shop grinder with a huge motor). Mine is not going anywhere...
LMWDP #483

CoolHandLuke (original poster)

#5: Post by CoolHandLuke (original poster) »

How thick is this pad?

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl replying to CoolHandLuke »

Something like 4-5 mm, decoupling the vibrations from whatever surface the grinder sits on is key yet there are many ways to do that.
LMWDP #483

LObin

#7: Post by LObin »

CoolHandLuke wrote:How thick is this pad?

LMWDP #592