Mazzer Major for home use? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by emradguy »

I've got the Major (doser version). I used the OEM burrs for a few years before upgrading to the set offered by Torr Toys. It was a small step up in flavor profile, but going to the Red Speed burrs from SSP was a much bigger step up in the cup. I would recommend them in a heartbeat, and feel this would be your best next step. If, for some reason, you can't afford them now, and would like a good set, I'd be happy to sell you the Torr Toys one, or send you my OEM set for the cost of shipping. I bought my grinder new from Chris' in 2011, so both sets are good to go for at least a decade in the home environment. Just pm me if you're interested.
LMWDP #748

Locopavoni (original poster)

#12: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

Thanks for the offer, very generous!
My thinking at the moment is about the workflow and working through any idiosyncrasies of the grinder before I decide to upgrade the burrs or make a call that this grinder isn't for me.
That being said, the speed is a bit to get used to compared to my old Compak K3 Touch, but I'm liking the fluffy consistent grinds.
LMWDP #537

spressomon

#13: Post by spressomon »

FWIW/FYI, from the Mazzer Mini thread: https://home-doserless.com/product/mazzer-major/
No Espresso = Depresso

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by emradguy »

Locopavoni wrote:Thanks for the offer, very generous!
My thinking at the moment is about the workflow and working through any idiosyncrasies of the grinder before I decide to upgrade the burrs or make a call that this grinder isn't for me.
That being said, the speed is a bit to get used to compared to my old Compak K3 Touch, but I'm liking the fluffy consistent grinds.

I wasn't trying to imply you need to take me up on that right now. The offer stands as long as I still have them (and I haven't taken any other steps to get rid of them).
LMWDP #748

#15: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

Despite the size of the Major, with the hopper off and a cap over the hopper chute it doesn't dwarf the Caravel too much.

The bag grip lever is great - when single dosing leaving the major running a little bit after the grinds go through and giving the bag lever a few twangs seems to dislodge the majority of the residual grinds.

Really starting to like this grinder!
LMWDP #537

#16: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

LMWDP #537

espressotime

#17: Post by espressotime »

I've used a Mazzer Major with a real doser for 8 years.
Great grinder.
I would still own if Tinnitus hadn't kicked in and made me sell it.
The machine is a bit noisy.

Marcelnl

#18: Post by Marcelnl »

Putting in on some sorbothane, or IKEA silicon pot holders, makes a difference. It's speed is an advantage there, it only screams for a couple of seconds
LMWDP #483

Jonk

#19: Post by Jonk »

Not worse than most grinders. The quick grind time makes it feel more like a scream I think, but you don't have to listen for long of course. More annoying for me is the fan that spins for quite some time afterwards on the electronic model, but it can probably be disconnected.