Mazzer & La Spaziale Reliability

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
lackey2000

#1: Post by lackey2000 »

I'm looking at getting the Mazzer Mini E and a La Spaziale (either A53 or Vivaldi). Can anyone speak to how reliable these machines and brands are? If they're only used for light daily use in the home, how long should I expect these machines to last before major service?

While the convenience of some of the computerized features are appealing, it also make me wonder if these parts won't severely limit the life of the machine.

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

While I can't tell you for sure I'd say years and years. The La Sapaziale and it's different iterations has been around for awhile already and seems like a great machine. I like my Dream. :-)

lackey2000 (original poster)

#3: Post by lackey2000 (original poster) »

Thanks Bodka! I was looking at the dream as well.

I heard La Spaziale's home/prosumer models are are well built. Also, since La Spaziale has extensive commercial experience - a lot of that experience and engineering go into the home/prosumer models as well. Would you say that's correct?

I'd say longevity is one of my primary criteria.

Also, what grinder are you using and do you feel it pairs well with your Dream?

Bodka Coffee

#4: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I am using a Vario W with my Dream. I've got some Settes ordered and will try one of them with it when they come. It seems to work very well with the Dream.

michael

#5: Post by michael »

Good reliability on my Vivaldi; I have the plumbed in model and had the mini mazzer e when I first started with the Vivaldi

Today, I would tell you to consider a grinder upgrade; I like the build quality on the mazzers and the doserless thing, but you may want to think about some bigger burrs; lots of new and used stuff out there 8)

genecounts

#6: Post by genecounts »

What I like about La Spaz is have never had channeling in all these years thanks in part to the 53mm portafilter. Load it with 16.6G of C+ to Full City roast level goodness and smile every morning. Doesn't matter whether you use a Baratza Vario grinder or an Orphan Espresso Pharos shots turn out great.
With the larger burrs I do favor the Pharos.

jchung

#7: Post by jchung »

Earlier this year I bought a used 12 yr old Mazzer Major Auto. Based on the label it previously served at a Starbucks. Cleaned it up, replaced the burrs, got a smaller hopper and converted to a doserless.

Works great! I've been getting great consistent shots.

bean2friends

#8: Post by bean2friends »

I have a mini Vivaldi, 6 years old that I grind for with a Compak K10 PB. It's a great combination. Sometimes I toy with the idea of an upgrade to a GS3 or the new Linea mini. And I think, I don't see how that would be an improvement. In other words, I'm very satisfied with what I have.

CoffeeMac

#9: Post by CoffeeMac »

I've had a Vivaldi 2 for 6-7 years and have had no issues at all. It's been on filtered water the entire time. I've added the timer, a shot mirror, ims shower screen, triple basket, and bottomless portafilter. Only annoyance is finding trendy tampers, baskets, gadgets for 53mm portafilter size...

I've had a Mazzer mini for 10+ years, also no issues at all. Over the years I replaced the doser with a funnel, added SS grounds tray, put in super jolley burr carrier and burrs.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a slayer+ek43 barista combo, but have other toys higher on the list :D
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

desmodici

#10: Post by desmodici »

Can't speak or la spaziale, but mazzers are bulletproof as others have stated.