Matt black coffee cups? Any suggestions

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
edson_ed

#1: Post by edson_ed »

I was searching for matt black coffee cups to add to my collection. I mean matt black on the outside, smooth white on the inside. Preferably good quality porcelain. Any suggestions where to get it? This seems to be hard to find.

Quester

#2: Post by Quester replying to edson_ed »

What size?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Try searching for matte black for better results.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by cpreston »

I designed a small 6 oz stackable black mug but there were production problems at the intersection of the white and black; I had to go all black. I'm sure it's doable as I've seen cups with white insides but I think it's a challenge.

tv79

#5: Post by tv79 replying to cpreston »

That's a great looking mug. Out of curiosity, how did you go about the product development process? I've often thought about designing a custom mug but was never sure where to start.

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by TenLayers »

I do like that strong D shape handle. Feels just right.

caffeinatedjen
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by caffeinatedjen »

I saw some coffee cups by Loveramics on Espresso Parts that are black on the outside, white on the inside, don't know how matte they are.
https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... 1999102139

Le Creuset has some nice mugs in assorted colors, but charcoal is as close as they have to black and they are beige on the inside. Also Acme has black mugs, can't tell what color they are on the inside. Not Neutral also has black mugs but they are black on the inside.

SandraF

#8: Post by SandraF »

Inker Porcelain sells lovely cups. I have not seen matte black - only glossy black on outside & white inside.

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by cpreston »

tv79 wrote:That's a great looking mug. Out of curiosity, how did you go about the product development process? I've often thought about designing a custom mug but was never sure where to start.
I'm actually an industrial designer, and I did it as a hobby project because I figured I'd learn something about ceramics design, and anyway I couldn't find a 6 oz cup that was quite what I wanted. It turned out to be way more work than I expected, spread out over a few years. Lots of 3D CAD models and around half a dozen physical prototype generations to check feel, balance, scale, etc. It also has a very thick lower section to hold heat, and ventilation so if it's wet the bottom will dry out while sitting on a counter. I was originally thinking of trying to license it, but I don't think it's very realistic, at least not without a lot more effort. I use them every day though.

tv79

#10: Post by tv79 »

Geez, that does sound like a lot of work. I didn't realize it was that involved. On the positive side, at least you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor!