Manual Espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
its0vakid

#1: Post by its0vakid »

Looking for first espresso machine... nomad or flair Neo bpf w/pressure gauge... or other suggestions? The clean up for the nomad looks pretty simple compared to flair.
Currently have v60 + breville sgp (soon to be replaced by jx pro)
Not a lot of reviews for the nomad on YouTube.

Not interested in any milk based drinks. Not looking to spend more than $300 on the unit.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I'd get a Robot or an Espresso Forge.

its0vakid (original poster)

#3: Post by its0vakid (original poster) »

Haven't heard of the forge. I'll take a look. Thanks. Trying to keep the price under $300.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are coming ... also, perhaps consider a Robot without the gauge? That would be about $365USD shipped from cafune.ca in Montréal - although he only has red ones in stock now (with the non-pressurized basket. He also has black, but only with the pressurized basket).

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

You're at the point where not too much money can make a huge difference in performance and utility. Longevity as well. I expect my Robot will be handed down to my great-grandchild or purchased by someone as hungry for one in 50-60 years as I am for a classic, 1960s home lever.

its0vakid (original poster)

#6: Post by its0vakid (original poster) »

The robot costs 60% more than the nomad. Is there that big of a difference between the quality of espresso produced?

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Bluenoser »

Are you hoping to sample lighter roasts? If so, something like the Flair 58 is double your price, but might do you forever as you can more easily keep your brew water hotter. I have the basic Robot and it is great.. Sometimes I wished I knew what was 3 bar and what was 5 bar pressure.. but for medium and darker roasts it is excellent. Fast workflow and pretty bullet-proof. It is virtually all metal. For hotter brew water you can preheat the piston, but takes a bit more work.

I also think the Forge looks interesting. I was originally planning to buy one until the person stopped producing them. I have no experience with the Nomad.

If you get a Robot, get a couple extra of the red gaskets that go on the piston. You won't go through them fast.. but nice to have a year or 2 down the road.

I'm sure your guests will like the odd cappuccino, but I think the NanoFoamer is all you need for that.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baristainzmking »

Another vote for the Robot and nano foamer. This machine is solid, low maintenance, beautiful and produces excellent espresso! My machines will come and go (Lelit Bianca and La Pavoni) but the robot will stay. ;)
Julia

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

Like many others, I own a Robot and it is not something I'm ever likely to give up. Other machines have come and gone.

* Cafelat Robot User Experience -- Nearly 4,000 posts
* Uniterra Nomad -- 14 posts

The Nomad "How to Buy" page lists Prima as their US distributor. Prima's website doesn't return the Nomad through search.

Seemingly, you've got little or no control once you've pumped things up. One of the big advantages of a manual lever is that you can adapt to what is happening in the basket and get a much higher proportion of good or great shots. That the Nomad has a "True Crema Valve" is scary, by itself.

jpender

#10: Post by jpender »

The Nomad looks pretty cool, if kind of like a toy a little kid would play with. It's so tiny and lightweight. I can see why coffee hobbyists wouldn't be as interested in it but all the reviews seem very positive, almost overly so. The main downsides seem to be cleanup related and concern about plastic. Can't help but wonder about durability.