Mahlkonig Peak vs. EK43S pricing differences

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Detour101

#1: Post by Detour101 »

I am in the market for Peak or EK43S I realized that pricing on the peak vs ek43S in the US peak is obviously cheaper than ek43s, but in Europe the Peak is much than Ek 43S and the Peak pricing is higher than US Peak pricing by almost 50%... any input on this price difference?

russel

#2: Post by russel »

I guess I'm going to rehash this...I have a PEAK and an EK43 with the updated coffee burrs...they are not interchangeable, they make very different coffee. Why are you choosing between these two grinders?
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Advertisement
Detour101 (original poster)

#3: Post by Detour101 (original poster) »

you have got my point, I actually don't know the difference between these two grinders, I am in the market to buy one of these, and trying to figure it out.

#4: Post by Detour101 (original poster) »

so , have you try to use EK43 for espresso? what is the difference between these two in the espresso or latte taste wise?
thanks

russel

#5: Post by russel replying to Detour101 »

I had a detailed response typed up and then lost it, so this is a les flowery condensed version.

EK
I love my EK and the espresso I make with it dearly. If I was to have only one grinder it could and would be my EK (w/ latest MK coffee burrs). I drink long shots of light roast SOs, I'm not very concerned with body or crema, I'm looking to maximize the floral and fruit flavors then sweetness. The EK is by far my favorite grinders so far, but I've yet to compare it to an EG1, Monolith Flat, R120, or a Titus.

PEAK
I think the PEAK is kind of a weird grinder. It produces a lot of crema and a lot of body all the time, no matter what I toss in the hopper and no matter how I pull the shots. This is great for me becuase I use it for popup/catering espresso service, and I need grind on demand and shots that play well with milk. I can dial in a bean as a straight shot and feel comfortable that it will present well in milk (this is not the case with my EK). The PEAK gives me this combined with a lot of the taste "percision" that I associate with my EK. It's a great best-of-most-options-without-being-mind-blowing grinder.

My take on equipment performance is that you should know what it is you're paying for and be honest about whether or now it's applicable to your taste/style prefferences. The EK suits my tastes very well and better than all the other grinders I've owned, which to me is enough to feel satisfied with its cost & value. I suspect that if my tastes where different (or my skills were less developed), I would not be getting much more out of my EK than I got out of my Super Caimano, or my K30.

If you're buying an extremely expensive grinder and you're concerned about what's going on in the cup, you need to understand what it is you actually want in the cup. If the value/pleasure/enjoyment jumble means something else to you, just go ahead and buy whatever it is that really pulls at your heart and purse strings.

#6: Post by Detour101 (original poster) »

Thanks Russul, according to your detailed reply, I know I am going for Peak, I like coffee with body and crema, more chocolate note, than fruity note. I looking at EK just because it gets so popular lately, so when I am about to get new grinder i just put EK as an option. well , thanks for your opinion.

russel

#7: Post by russel »

When choosing a PEAK it's important to think about your workflow and how you feel about waste. When using a hopper it holds back 10g of ground coffee between the burrs and the end of the exit chute. That's 10g of stale grounds in there when you walk up to it initially. That's 10g that needs to be purged after making a grind adjustment. If you're comfortable with this level of waste or just don't care, then you're good to go. If this makes you uncomfortable, you should consider a K30 or a Mythos. You can single dose a PEAK pretty well as it does a good job of clearing the grind chamber when spinning empty, but doing so is slow and at this price point there a better options that are built for single dosing.

Advertisement

#8: Post by Detour101 (original poster) »

I m surprising with the Peak indeed has more retention than K30.. I thought they are the same design more or less, and Peak might be more advanced design.

yes, I do single dose, and only 2, 3 cups a day, the thing is that if I am going to mythos, the bean hopper is quite flat, I am not intend to put too much coffee in it, only half pound at the time which enough for me for one week coffee. the mythos flat designed hopper not sure if it is gonna cause any issue with half pound of beans in the bean hopper?

thanks