Mahlkonig EK43S with all the features vs. Weber EG-1 with SSP burrs

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
NYFilter93

#1: Post by NYFilter93 »

Hello,

I am looking to get a multi-use grinder for both espresso and pourover. I currently have a slayer, April dripper, v60, kalita, origami, so I want a grinder that can do it all at a high quality.

I am debating between an EG-1 with SSP burrs or an Ek43s with the Titus burr carrier, sandpaper alignment and SSP burrs.

I know the EK43 out of package alignment isn't great, but with all these additions, is it better or equal in quality to the EG-1? Or am I better off getting an EG-1?

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by blondica73 replying to NYFilter93 »

The new EK43S chambers are very well aligned and don't need sanding, I measured mine and it was 0.020mm with Turkish burrs installed. I have the Titus carrier and cannot be happier. I sold both the MAX and MC4 and kept the EK43S. And it is smoking fast.

cafe102

#3: Post by cafe102 »

I have both grinders. EK43s is a beast: super fast when grinding 80g for the daily pot using Ratio 8 maker, no alignment issues right out of the box (Oct 2020 manufacture date), espresso grinding is okay - a bit messy and some retention. EG-1v2 work flow for espresso is amazing. It's a bit more user friendly than the EK43s - quieter and less coffee spray when grinding. I also find the dial markings on the EK43 will put you in the ballpark when adjusting between espresso to pourover and then back to espresso. It never seems to be right back to the exact grind setting to start pulling espresso shots without dialing in again. The EG-1 is more accurate when going between different settings; if pulling shots @ #9 on the dial, open adjustment for pourover and then adjust back to #9 for espresso - right back to pulling shots, no dialing in. For the end result in the cup, you can't go wrong with either grinder. It's more about work flow and what will look best on your bench. I'd keep the EG-1 if I had to give one up.

NYFilter93 (original poster)

#4: Post by NYFilter93 (original poster) replying to cafe102 »

How is the retention on the EG-1. Also do you have the Titus burr carrier and SSP burrs with the Ek43s?

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by blondica73 replying to NYFilter93 »

I had the SSP burrs and I was not impressed, sold them and switched back to stock burrs.

cafe102

#6: Post by cafe102 »

No retention with the EG-1, I do spray the dose with water before grinding. Both grinders a stock, no modifications or burr changes.

NYFilter93 (original poster)

#7: Post by NYFilter93 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone! I think I'll go for the EG1 cause it doesn't seem to have alignment issues and costs about the same once you add the SSP burrs and Titus burr carrier.

BigDaddy

#8: Post by BigDaddy »

cafe102 wrote:The EG-1 is more accurate when going between different settings; if pulling shots @ #9 on the dial, open adjustment for pourover and then adjust back to #9 for espresso - right back to pulling shots, no dialing in.
I noticed that the dial seems a little tight going to espresso after dialing in for pourover using the EG1. I fix this by going coarser to purge the beans probably stucked inside the burrs. Has this happened to you?

nicholasnumbers

#9: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to BigDaddy »

Adjust the grinder while running and it will purge the leftover coffee between the burr teeth.

Side note on the thread: I sold my EK43S and switched to the EG-1 because my stock burr alignment was very off. I sold it to someone who spent the time to align it and they said there was one very high spot which tool significant time to compensate for.

Nick

erik82

#10: Post by erik82 »

BigDaddy wrote:I noticed that the dial seems a little tight going to espresso after dialing in for pourover using the EG1. I fix this by going coarser to purge the beans probably stucked inside the burrs. Has this happened to you?
I just take the top grind chamber cover off and turn the burr a bt by hand when going from pourover to espresso. Some ground coffee particles will always be left after grinding and they cause for this issue (happens in every grinder).